Can students who are gifted be eligible for special education services?

Posted by:

Yes.  There are students who are gifted or enrolled in Advanced Placement or Honors courses but also need special education and related services.  The child must meet a two-prong test to be considered an eligible child with a disability: (1) have one of the specified disabilities under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act; and (2) because of the disability, need special education and related services.

The Virginia Department of Education has published Supporting the Identification and Achievement of the Twice Exceptional Student to provide answers to common questions concerning the identification process and instruction of students with dual exceptionalities.