- Broad Run High School
22-23 School Information
9th Annual African-American Read-In [posted 02/02/2023]
In honor of Black History Month, Broad Run’s English Department and Psi Epsilon Nu (PEN), the chapter of the National English Honor Society, will host the school’s 9th annual African American Read-In, Rooted & Written on Tuesday, February 7th beginning at 7pm in the auditorium. In addition to readings and musical performances by faculty, staff, and students, this year’s event will feature guest speaker Tara Campbell, an award-winning writer, teacher, Kimbilio Fellow, fiction co-editor at Barrelhouse, and graduate of American University’s MFA program in Creative Writing.
Click HERE for information flyer
"Live for a Cos" t-shirts [posted 12/29/2022]
I hope everyone has been enjoying your time off.
To honor John Costello’s legacy, the We’re All Human Club, in conjunction with Broad Run High School and Cheers Sports, will be selling shirts in his honor. The shirt will read, “Live for a Cos. Spartan 4 Life.” All proceeds will go towards Coach Cos’s cause, The Special Olympics Field Day, as well as a Scholarship in his name. We want to continue to support the program he was so passionate about as well as support students, through his scholarship. More information about the scholarship will follow. T-shirts will be sold in the main entrance of the school during the first week back l as well as online. To order online, please go to: https://brhsliveforacos2023.itemorder.com/
If you have any questions, you can contact Jennie Kroll at email@example.com
We look forward to seeing everyone back to school next week! Happy New Year!
Coach Costello Info
Information related to Coach Costello:
- Anyone interested can join us on the side of the school building (next to the Coach Costello ‘We Are Broad Run’ sign on the Auxiliary Gym) for a gathering in memory of Coach Costello. Sunday December 11, 5:00 – 6:00 pm.
- At Broad Run High School we are making Monday December 12 Maroon and Gold Monday. Wear your Maroon and Gold in memory of Coach Costello. We invite the community to do the same, at work, others, etc…
- There will be a moment of silence before the Varsity Basketball game on Monday evening.
- Anyone interested in donating to the faculty scholarship in memory of Coach Costello can send checks to the school made out to BRHS. Send attn Bookkeeper. Please place Coach Costello in the notes.
Community Message from Mr. Spage Dec 9 [connected/posted 12/09/2022]
This is David Spage. What today I am sending effects not only the Board Run Community, but myself on a very personal level. It is with a very heavy heart that I am telling you about the passing of our beloved teacher, coach, and friend. John Costello.
Mr. Costello embodied the spirit of Broad Run during his 25 years as a teacher and coach. His impact went far beyond any title or activity, as a friend and mentor to all of us. Our thoughts and condolences are with his family, we will provide more information as we get it.
Counselors and staff from LCPS are on hand today and will be for the foreseeable future to help any students, staff, or community member who may need help in processing this news.
As always, please feel free to reach out to me.
PSAT Scores availiable Dec 6 [connected/posted 11/30/2022]
PSAT scores will be available Tuesday, December 6th, through your student College Board account. Please login to your College Board account (studentscores.collegeboard.org) to view your scores on or after December 6th. Below are resources to help you with this process.
If you do not see a score report after December 6th, please reach out to College Board directly.
- Create a Student College Board Account: https://cbaccount.collegeboard.org/iamweb/smartRegister?appId=395&DURL=https://studentscores.collegeboard.org/home&idp=ECL&SFMC_cid=EM854496-&rid=457330183
- Understanding Your Scores:
- Scholarship Information:
BRHS Testing Coordinator
AP Exam Registration [connected/posted 10/30/2022]
The AP Exam Registration deadline is quickly approaching and is this Friday, November 4, 2022 at 5:00PM. If you have not done so already, please confirm with your student that they have registered for any AP exams they are planning on taking.
- Exam registrations can be confirmed in your student’s College Board account.
- If your student has not yet registered for an exam that they are planning to take, registration must be completed before November 4, 2022 at 5:00PM.
- Any registration past this deadline will result in a $40 late fee.
- LCPS is not covering any late or cancellation fees this year. LCPS covers the cost of four AP exams over a student’s high school career.
- Payment information for AP exams will be sent out in mid-November.
Please email Ms. Bagby, Broad Run’s testing coordinator, with any questions. Thank you!
FAFSA workshop Oct 25 [naviance/posted 10/24/2022]
This is a reminder that tomorrow, October 25th, Broad Run, in conjunction with Stonebridge and Riverside HS, will be hosting a FAFSA workshop from 6:30-8:30 PM in the Broad Run High School auditorium. This workshop is intended to be a workshop where students and families bring their FAFSA filing materials and complete the application during the workshop. It will be helpful to complete the FSA ID application for both parent and student prior to coming to the workshop. Please bring your charged laptop to the workshop with you. For anyone planning on attending a two or four year college, completing your FAFSA is imperative if you would like to receive any financial support, and in some instances, scholarships.
For planning purposes, please RSVP if you will be attending: https://forms.gle/34EercG15bDj4CoLA
Additionally, if you missed the Financial Aid 101 workshop, you can view it on this link:
Financial Aid 101 – Fall 2022
Any questions, please contact Jennie Kroll
Bus Route Updates--Effective Oct 25 [conected-ed 10/22/2022; posted 10/23/2022]
As a reminder, Fall changes to bus routes will be effective starting next Tuesday, October 25. Updated information is available in Phoenix and ParentVue.
Click HERE for info on how to see in ParentVUE
Make-up Pictures--9th, 10th & 11th Graders [conected-ed/posted 10/21/2022]
- Monday, November 7 – A day
- 9:15 am to 1:00 pm
Students should schedule a time with their “A” day teachers to go down and get their picture done.
Broad Run Fall Play "Radium Girls" [posted 10/17/2022]
- Thurs, 10/20 @ 7 pm
- Fri, 10/21 @ 7 pm
- Sat, 10/22 @ 2 pm and 7 pm
From LCPS--Mental Health & Wellness/UMHT Workshop [posted 10/11/2022]
- Workshop to Introduce LCPS’ Mental Health and Wellness Programs and the Unified Mental Health Team
- Wednesday, Oct. 19 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Briar Woods High School (22525 Belmont Ridge Rd., Ashburn)
Register for this interactive workshop which will introduce two of LCPS’ mental health and wellness programs – Sources of Strength and Positive Experiences in Educational Relationships. Sources of Strength is a student-driven, evidence-based wellness model for improving mental health outcomes in schools and communities. The Positive Experiences in Educational Relationships program helps foster positive relationships and connections between students and communities. During the workshop, members of LCPS Unified Mental Health Teams will also outline how they promote school-wide mental health initiatives.
This seminar is part of the Mental Health and Wellness Parent Seminar Series. Please see the Parent Resource Services website for the full calendar of workshops planned for the 2022-23 school year.
Register at https://bit.ly/3RvDXQe
School Pictures are ONLINE NOW [posted 10/11/2022]
The team at Victor O’Neill Studios would like to thank your school for a great picture day!
- We are reaching out to inform you that student images are now online.
- If your school provided emails to the VOS team, please let parents know to be on the lookout for an email from Victor O'Neill Studios. If they do not see it in their inbox, check the spam/junk folder. Please share the information below with your parents:
Any student who has not had a chance to order, it’s not too late! Please visit: vosphoto.com/uc
- Use your student ID when prompted for the online code.
- For questions regarding school pictures please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you! Victor O'Neill Studios
Step-Up Loudoun Youth Competition [posted 10/11/2022]
Click HERE for the flyer and more information.
Athletic Hall of Fame Class of 2022 [posted 9/27/2022]
The Class of 2022 induction for the Athletic Hall of Fame will be October 7, 2022. Please click HERE for inductee and more information.
Governor's School [posted 9/27/2022]
If you are a current sophomore or junior and are interested in learning more about the Governor's School, a representative will be available tomorrow, September 29th, in the Career Center to answer questions. They will be available during your lunch block.
The Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s Schools are approximately four weeks long and are held each summer on various college and university campuses throughout Virginia. The Governor’s Schools offer students a unique opportunity to work and study not only with other students with similar talents and interests, but also with mentors, professors, scientists, and other professionals in their field of interest.
The following Summer Residential Governor’s Schools will be offered in 2023:
- Math, Science, and Technology
- Visual and Performing Arts
And Mentorships in:
- Marine Science
- Medicine and Health Sciences
Yearbooks [connect-ed/posted 9/28/2022]
This year's yearbook is currently selling for the lowest price of the year! To buy a yearbook, just follow these steps:
1. Visit this link (or visit www.yearbookordercenter.com and enter number 13768).
2. Click on "Order Yearbook" at the top of the page.
3. Select the desired package and enter your student's name.
Questions? Contact Sarah Dyer at Sarah.Dyer@lcps.org
Underclass Student Pictures [reposted 9/8/2022, posted 6/16/2022]
Underclass student School Picture Day is on Monday September 19th & Tuesday September 20th 2022 during English class.
- Pictures will be available approximately two weeks following our school's photo day.
- Save time and Pre-order online here: https://vando.imagequix.com/g1000945207
- For questions about ordering school pictures please email email@example.com
- You can also contact Mr. Barbour [Darnell.Barbour@lcps.org] or Mr. Runfola [Chad.Runfola@lcps.org]
Tutor.com available for LCPS Students [connected/posted 9//06/2022]
LCPS is partnering with Tutor.com to provide all students with free, online tutoring. Tutor.com, which is a service of the Princeton Review, is personalized to meet the individual needs of students.
Tutors are available 24 hours a day and can provide tutoring support in a wide variety of subjects. This service will be available to LCPS students starting Tuesday, Sept. 6.
Tutor.com will be accessed through a student's Schoology account. Connecting with a tutor is near-immediate and is available wherever a student has computer access. There is no limit to the number of times a LCPS student can connect with a tutor.
- Top 10 Reasons Why Students Benefit from Tutor.com (English) (Spanish)
- Top 10 Facts for Parents about Tutor.com (English) (Spanish)
- How it Works for Elementary School Students (English) (Spanish)
- How it Works for Middle and High School Students (English) (Spanish)
- SAT/ACT Essentials
Drop Off/Pick Up and Parking [posted 8//25/2022]
For the 2022-2023 on campus parking for students and visitors, please click HERE to view the posted maps.
LCPS Nutritional Services--Payment System [posted 8//22/2022]
LCPS is using a new meal payment system called “Titan Family Portal.” To register, please follow the following directions:
- Register: Register at family.titank12.com by clicking on “Sign up today!”
- Confirm Email: Confirm your email address by clicking on the email verification link sent to your email address.
- Sign In: Now you can sign in at family.titank12.com using your email and password
School Information from Mr. Spage [connect-ed/posted 8//21/2022]
BRHS Families...Some information and reminders for you:
- Open House is Monday, August 22. Find information here.
- Please view welcome messages from Mr. Hoyler (LCPS School Board) and LCPS Security here (Center, below banner, ‘In the Know’).
- Bring your class schedule.
- Be sure to stop by the cafeteria for the Activities Expo.
- Counselors and front office staff will be available throughout the Open House to assist students. Paper schedules will be available outside of the Counseling Department. Attendance information will be available outside the main office. Schedule changes can only be made if there is an error.
- The Spart Mart will be open, Cash or Check please.
- During Open House, Freshman Chromebook exchange will be in the library. 9th grade students should bring their Chromebooks and exchange for new ones. If students cannot exchange during Open House, they can during the first days of school.
- BRHS will use E-Hall Pass this year. E-Hall Pass is an online platform for staff to issue hallway passes.
- Personal technology/device expectations can be found here.
- Our bell schedule is here. Students are encouraged to bring a snack for break and seminar time.
E-Hall Pass [posted 8//21/2022]
To provide our students with a safe and secure learning environment, we will be using E-Hall Pass to continue to improve the safety and security of our campus.
- E-Hall Pass will be used to monitor activities in our hallways.
- Students can access E-Hall Pass through their school-issued devices.
Students will be trained on E-hall Pass in their classes to become acquainted with the system.
Personal Technology Expectations [posted 8//20/2022]
In efforts to increase student focus, engagement and achievement, students should responsibly follow these expectations/procedures.
- Personal cell phones/earbuds/headphones are to be turned off and put away during instruction, including hallway visits during instructional time.
- Personal cell phones may not be used as a substitute for a missing or uncharged Chromebook.
Individual teachers will review these expectations/procedures with specifics for each class/classroom.
LCPS: "The Family Room"--Navigating ParentVue [posted 8/17/2022]
Come and join us for a session of The Family Room about how to Navigate ParentVUE! The Department of Digital Innovation will guide families on how to access their student’s grades, report cards, courses and more. Families are encouraged to come with questions.
Please join us on Wednesday August 31st, 2022:
- 6 pm (English & Spanish)
- 7 pm (English & Arabic)
For more details see flyer by clicking HERE
BRHS Open House Info [connected/posted 8/15/2022]
BRHS will have our back to school Open House on Monday, August 22 from 4 to 6 pm...for all grade levels and parent/guardians. Click HERE for flyer info.
LCPS--First Day of School Information NOW Available [connected/posted 8/15/2022]
Please login to ParentVUE on the Loudoun County Public Schools’ (LCPS’) website (not the mobile app for ParentVUE) to complete the Online Verification process as part of LCPS’ First Day of School initiative. This process is required for families to review and update important information about their students as we begin the 2022-23 school year. Once completed, you will be able to view student schedules and bus information in ParentVUE. The Online Verification process must be completed no later than Friday, September 23.
If you do not have a ParentVUE account, please contact the school of any of your students to request an Activation Letter.
For resources and FAQs to help you with the Online Verification process and start of the new school year, go to: www.lcps.org/FirstDay. This page covers the following topics and more:
- New Meal Payment Tool, called TITAN Family Portal (replaces MySchoolBucks)
- New School Payment System for yearbooks, field trips, etc., called SchoolCash Online
- School Calendar
- School Hours and Bell Schedule
- Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Parent Resources
- Guide and Directory to the LCPS division
- Transportation’s Stopfinder App (replaces Here Comes the Bus App)
- Free and Reduced Lunch Application
- McKinney-Vento Application
- Insurance Information
- LCPS Mobile App Details
College BootCamp for Seniors [connected/posted 8/13/2022]
August 15th 12:30 to 2:30 @ BRHS.
Click HERE for registration information.
ParentVUE and Online Verification [posted 8/12/2022]
Beginning at 8 a.m. on Monday, August 15, please sign into ParentVUE to complete the Online Verification process as part of Loudoun County Public Schools’ First Day of School Information initiative.
- This process is required for all families to review and update important information about their students as we begin the 2022-23 school year, and must be completed no later than Friday, September 23. Once completed, you will be able to view student schedules and bus information in ParentVUE.
- If you do not have a ParentVUE account, please contact the school of any of your students to request an Activation Letter.
- For more information about this Online Verification process, along with FAQs about the First Day of School, please visit: www.lcps.org/FirstDay.
LCPS Update on COVID [posted 8/12/2022]
COVID-19 information has been updated on the website. Students and visitors are not required to wear a mask in schools or on LCPS property. According to federal regulations, Head Start preschool programs will continue to require masks in the classroom and on school buses. We encourage all families to talk to their students about their mask decisions.
SchoolCash Online Info [/posted 8/12/2022]
LCPS is excited to announce the launch of SchoolCash Online, a new online payment system that allows parents to pay for school-related fees, including everything from field trips to yearbooks.
How does it work?
SchoolCash Online is the industry leader in the safe and secure management of school fees. Schools post their items and activities and assign the relevant fees to your student, so you can then make purchases online using your credit card. This allows you to keep track of the school fees that require your attention.
Foyer information is below:
VDOT Transportation Career Fair [naviance msg/posted 8/08/2022]
On October 6, 2022....students will have the opportunity to see displays and demonstrations, discover information on internships and scholarships, participate in hands-on exercises, and network with future employers at the Annual VDOT High School Transportation Career Fair in Northern Virginia. This event offers students a clear vision of career paths in transportation and could make a positive impact on their futures!
The Virginia Department of Transportation will host this event on Thursday, October 6th, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Prince William County Fairgrounds in Manassas. The event will offer students a wide variety of information about careers in transportation-related fields such as engineering, aviation, transit, architecture, technology, construction, and the environment. This career fair has grown over the years into the Commonwealth’s premier workforce-related high school event.
This event will be managed with COVID-19 social distancing guidelines.
Sign-Up for this event will be with Ms. Days in the Career Center.
Welcome Back Letter & PTSO Update [connect-ed/posted 8/08/2022]
Welcome Back Letter from BRHS....Click HERE.
Dear Parents/Guardians of BRHS Students,
We hope you are enjoying your summer. Welcome parents of Class of 2026! It is hard to believe that the new school year will begin in less than 3 weeks. Please take a few minutes to read through this email and why you should join the PARENT-TEACHER-STUDENT ORGANIZATION.
HOW DO I BECOME A PTSO MEMBER? Click here https://fs20.formsite.com/ashburn/form12/index.html?1470424957558 to complete the online membership form & pay for your membership with a credit card.
WHY SHOULD I BECOME A PTSO MEMBER? The membership fee for BRHS PTSO is only $35 per family, but what we give back to the community is much more. These funds pay for programs/efforts such as the following:
- Teacher requests– Some items or events that are not in the yearly school budget and would not be possible without the help of the BRHS PTSO. Some examples: Special Needs Field Day, TechEd Projects, Student Art Displays, Magazine Subscriptions for English classes, school-based clubs, and organizations such as National Honor Society, DECA, Science Olympiad, just to name a few.
- Scholarships- Each spring the BRHS PTSO awards up to ten $500 college scholarships to the most deserving BRHS graduating seniors regardless of gender or educational path.
- Project Graduation - The BRHS PTSO contributes to the Project Graduation All-Night Party that is a yearly event held after graduation night. For the class of 2023, the event will be held at BRHS on June 1, 2023. It is a nationwide effort to provide graduating seniors with a fun, safe place to celebrate their last night together as high school students.
- Hospitality- The BRHS PTSO supplements the Hospitality committee needs when parent donations are not sufficient to provide for food and drinks at many school events including Academic Awards Night, National Honor Society Induction reception, Faculty and Staff Welcome Back Breakfast and Teacher Appreciation Week.
Imagine how much more we can provide for the BRHS students and teachers if we can achieve full membership of all BRHS families! If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you at our first PTSO meeting on September 12 at 7pm at the school library. The PTSO general meetings are usually on the second Monday of the month except if there are holidays.
Thank you for your support!
BRHS PTSO Board 2022-23; Principal David Spage, President Marita Reidy, 1st VP Raman Sharma, 2nd VP Ray Bugnosen, Secretary Colleen Miller and Treasurer Vandana Vinay
PTSO--Teacher Welcome Back Breakfast [connect-ed/posted 8/01/2022]
Please see included link from PTSO. Thank you in advance for considering signing up and donating.
Senior Picture Update [connect-ed/posted 7/28/202]
If you missed the summer senior portrait session, here is an update.
Victor O’Neill Studios, Broad Run’s official school photographer, are excited to see you on October 17 & 18 for your senior portrait at the school.
An official announcement will come from Broad Run mid-September that will include information on the October session and a link that you will use to book your session type and appointment time.
We will have a final session in early November and those dates will be shared in mid-October.
Please contact Chad.Runfola@lcps.org with questions.
From Mr. Spage--Back to School Info [connect-ed/posted 7/28/202]
Hello Spartans....The school year is rapidly approaching. Some information for you:
- Welcome letters will be distributed via this connect-ed email system on or about August 8.
- If you know anyone coming to Broad Run this fall is not getting this (or other) emails from BRHS please have them contact school counseling.
- Students can view schedules in Student/Parent Vue on August 15.
- Open House is August 22, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Come to visit classes, meet teachers/staff.
- School starts August 25, 9:30 am. Our bell schedule and updated A/B calendar is posted on the right-hand side of our website.
- We suggest students bring a snack for the daily 11:00 am – 11:15 am break.
- Please also check ‘School Updates 22-23’ on our website (Parking Application, Senior Photos, and other info will be updated there).
- Click HERE...Math Refresher
- Click HERE ...Rising Seniors College Boot Camp
2022-2023 BRHS Parking Passes [connect-ed/posted 7/28/2022]
Parent permission is required to allow students to drive and park at Broad Run High School.
Students and parents together should complete the BRHS Application in addition to the Parent Permission Click form.
There are no costs/fees this year for parking passes.
BRHS Application – https://forms.gle/v8p6V6Gb1oBh4kj2A *Access the application through the student's school account
Parent Permission Click Form – (this has been directly emailed to parents)
Contact Chad.Runfola@lcps.org for questions.
Rising 12th Grade: Immunizations [posted 7/26/202]
From the Office of Student Services..."Rising 12th grade students are required to have one  dose of Meningococcal Vaccine (MenACWY, Menactra, or Menveo) given at age 16 or older."
2022-2023 Interim & Report Card Dates [posted 6/16/2022]
Class of 2023--Seniors Pictures [connected/posted 6/15/2022, updated 6/16/2022]
It's time to schedule your senior portrait! Use this link to schedule your sitting at Broad Run High School July 11th from 9AM-3PM and July 12th & 13th from 8AM-3PM: https://pickatime.com/vosphoto/BroadRun2023.
- Victor O’Neill photography will provide traditional tuxes and drapes for the yearbook photo.
- You can also schedule additional portraits if you wish.
- Pictures will be taken in the auditorium, so please enter through Door B4.
If you are unable to make the July 11-13 session, fall sessions will also be offered, but time slots are limited. Make-up dates are October 17-18 and November 4. A link will be provided for these dates after the July portraits.
If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
Underclass Student Pictures [posted 6/16/2022]
Underclass Portraits are scheduled for September 19-20 and make-ups will take place on November 3. Additional information will be provided when students return to school in the Fall.
Broad Run Summer Math Refresher [posted 6/10/2022]
The Broad Run chapter of Mu Alpha Theta will be hosting the Summer Math Refresher on Aug 9th AND Aug 16th from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Click HERE for the flyer information.
Summer School Physical & Immunization Opportunities [posted 5/26/2022]
Inova Cares Clinics to provide children ages 5+ with School Physicals and Immunizations needed to begin the 2022-23 School Year (Medicaid or Unisured Children Only). Click HERE for information flyer.