BYOT - LCPS Official Policy
Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) has taken steps to ensure all students have equitable access to a robust digital learning environment that develops knowledgeable critical thinkers, communicators, collaborators, creators and contributors.
Beginning this school year, students in grades three through 12 will be receiving individual-learning devices. The students in 45 schools will be receiving Lenovo 300e Chromebooks as part of the Wave 1 of the implementation. To keep this initiative budget neutral, it will take three years to complete before all students in grades three thru 12 receive individual-learning devices.
Providing students with individual learning devices does not mean that students cannot augment the learning environment by bringing in their own technology. LCPS feels it is important to allow students choices in how they interact in a digital world. However, the school division equally values the benefits and efficiencies that are made possible with each student having ready access to the appropriate learning tools. All students are provided network accounts that allow them to access a series of tools, including Google and Office 365.
Additional work has been completed to ensure students are engaged in a safe and secure digital environment. LCPS has restructured its management of student Google and Office 365 accounts. Steps taken include:
- Only students with an active LCPS network account can log into their Chromebook.
- Student Chromebooks are content-filtered in and out of school.
- Students in grades three through 12 will have active Gmail accounts to ensure a formal digital tool is used for teacher-to-student and student-to-student school-related communications.
- Students in grades three through five only have access to communicate to LCPS students and teachers.
- Student accounts are monitored 24/7/365 for inappropriate content, materials, bullying and violence.
This is an exciting time for Loudoun County Public School students and staff. Please be on the lookout for additional information from your student’s school when the year begins.