- Loudoun County Public Schools
Information from the LCPS Safety and Security Department
There is nothing more important than the safety of our students and staff. LCPS and its Division of Safety and Security, in conjunction with law enforcement and public safety partners, have created a comprehensive safety and security plan to protect students, staff and visitors. This plan is equipped with multiple layers of redundancy, some visible and some not, to help ensure a safe and secure environment for everyone.
We would never want to publicly discuss all aspects of our security plan but we do want to let you know of the following protocols that are in place to protect your children and our staff on a daily basis:
- The outer perimeters of our schools, as well as our school grounds, are routinely patrolled by law enforcement and LCPS Safety and Security.
- All doors to schools are locked and secured.
- Visitors attempting to enter our facilities must comply with access control protocols that require thorough vetting.
- Our facilities use enhanced security technology to control access, monitor visitors, and prevent fire and life safety issues.
- All staff members are trained in how to respond to violent intruders.
- Security is monitored 24/7 through our Security Operations Center.
In addition, School Resource Officers, who are sworn law enforcement officers, and School Security Officers, who are LCPS employees, support the security requirements of our schools. These officers help cultivate an inclusive and safe environment where students feel comfortable reporting concerning behavior. Every school also has a multidisciplinary threat assessment team that evaluates all potential threats, as well as school-specific emergency response plans that are consistently tested through training, exercises, and drills.
See Something Say Something is a critical component of security in LCPS. This requires a commitment from everyone in our community to report suspicious or concerning information. While something may seem insignificant on the surface, when reported and pieced together with other information it may save lives. Concerning information can be reported in three ways.
- Directly to the school principal
- Directly to law enforcement via 911 or 703-777-1021
- To the Safe2Talk anonymous tip app that can be downloaded to any mobile device
LCPS is constantly re-assessing our security plan, incorporating national best practices, and modernizing technology to strengthen our capabilities.
Please know that LCPS is committed to protecting our students, staff and visitors.
Remember, if you see something, say something.
Published June 2, 2022