- Loudoun County Public Schools
School Board Summary January 11
The Loudoun County School Board held a meeting at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, January 11, 2022.
School Board Chair Jeff Morse (Dulles District), Vice Chair Ian Serotkin (Blue Ridge District), Atoosa Reaser (Algonkian District), Harris Mahedavi (Ashburn District), Andrew Hoyler (Broad Run District), John Beatty (Catoctin District), Tom Marshall (Leesburg District) and Brenda L. Sheridan (Sterling District), attended the meeting at the Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) Administrative Offices, 21000 Education Court, Ashburn. Denise Corbo (At-Large) was absent.
The School Board approved six action items during this meeting: a resolution honoring 10 years of service by Dulles District School Board member Jeff Morse; a resolution honoring 10 years of service by Sterling District School Board member Brenda Sheridan; the Superintendent’s Recommended FY 2023 – FY 2028 Capital Improvement Program and Capital Asset Preservation Program Budgets; the Revision of Policy 4125, Cash in School Buildings; the Adoption of Policy 6420, Environmental, Health, and Safety; and the Adoption of Policy 5115, Special Programs and Academies.
The School Board heard 10 information items:
- Dr. David Goodfriend, director of the Loudoun County Health Department, gave a COVID-19 status update for Loudoun County and Superintendent Dr. Scott Ziegler spoke about LCPS communication concerning the pandemic and COVID-19 protocols.
- Chief Operations Officer Kevin Lewis and Erica Bush and Charles Avery, co-chairs of the Douglass High School Commemorative Committee (HSCC), presented a renovation Update and Response to Request for Assistance from the Joint Committee of the Board of Supervisors and School Board.
- School Board Vice Chair Serotkin (Blue Ridge District) and Deputy Superintendent Dr. Ashley Ellis described the Adoption of Policy 5125, Alternative Paths to Attaining Standard Units of Credit.
- Mrs. Reaser and Chief of Staff Dr. Mark Smith described the Revision of Policy 2120, Election, Term of Office, and Vacancy in Office.
- Mrs. Reaser and Dr. Smith presented the Revision of Policy 3110, Appointment and Term of the Division Superintendent.
- Mrs. Reaser and Dr. Smith also presented Revision of Policy 3120, Powers and Duties.
- Mr. Hoyler (Broad Run District) and Assistant Superintendent for Student Services Dr. Asia Jones outlined the Revision of Policy 3050, Trained Service Animals.
- Director of Equity Lottie Spurlock presented the Loudoun County School Board’s Proclamation for Black History Month.
- Dr. Jones presented the National School Counseling Week and Proclamation - February 7-11, 2022.
- Dr. Ellis presented Career and Technical Education Month Proclamation.
Angela Rivera, a senior at Park View High, and Rohan Bangalore, a senior at Dominion High School, were introduced as student School Board members.
The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Evalynn Bogusz, a Poetry Out Loud regional finalist from Heritage High School.
The National Anthem was performed by the Stone Bridge High School Chamber Orchestra String Quartet, under the Direction of Erin Stavropulos. The quartet is comprised of students from the top-level orchestral ensemble. The students performing the National Anthem included Jeremy Oh, Claire Lee, Hannah Cleavinger and Jerry Wang.
Published January 12, 2022