- Loudoun County Public Schools
School Board Broad Run District Vacancy Hearing Agenda October 5
The Loudoun County School Board will hold a meeting at 5 p.m. Tuesday, October 5, in the School Board meeting room at the Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) Administrative Offices, 21000 Education Court in Ashburn.
This will be a hearing for filling the Broad Run District School Board vacancy.
There will be three agenda items for this meeting:
- Public comment (speakers at this public hearing shall limit their comments to the candidates for the Broad Run District School Board vacancy and their qualifications);
- Statements from the seven candidates seeking appointment to the Board Seat;
- School Board member questions to the candidates.
The full meeting agenda is available on the LCPS website.
The comment registration forms are limited to the current School Board meeting. Please sign up for only one method of public comment. Speakers will not be allowed to use multiple methods to comment. If duplicate registrations are found, registrants will be contacted to see which method of participation they will use.
Telephone registration for in-person public comment will open at 8 a.m. Monday, October 4, and close at noon Tuesday, October 5. Telephone registration will be accepted at 571-252-1030.
The School Board recently adopted the following guidelines for those who wish to speak at its meetings:
- They must be residents of Loudoun County (including its incorporated towns);
- Owners of businesses located in whole or part in Loudoun County;
- LCPS students;
- Parents and guardians of LCPS students that live outside of Loudoun County; or
- LCPS employees.
Those wishing to speak to the School Board must provide proof that they meet these criteria using one of the following:
- A valid Virginia driver’s license indicating Loudoun County residency;
- A utility bill from 2021 with the resident’s name and a Loudoun County address;
- A mortgage or rental lease agreement displaying the resident’s name and current street address of residency or business;
- A current Employee ID or Student ID;
- An email or letter from Loudoun County Public Schools to the parent from the 2021-22 school year regarding a currently enrolled LCPS student;
- A student report card or progress report.
The procedures for commenting to the School Board are as follows:
Sign-up for public comment will close at noon on Tuesday, October 5.
For those who have not pre-registered, walk-up registrations for in-person public comment will be accepted at the front of the LCPS Administrative Offices until five minutes before the start of the public portion of the meeting (4:55 p.m.) Walk-up speakers will be added to the end of the in-person comment list.
The list of pre-registered speakers will be posted on the front windows at the west entrance to the Administrative Offices and on the school division’s website.
Ten speakers at a time will be admitted to the building. The next 10 speakers will be in line just outside the building and will be admitted as a group. The next 10 speakers will be forming a line to enter the building as the second group prepares to enter.
Only one speaker at a time will be allowed into the School Board Meeting Room.
Those speakers not present when the School Board chair calls their name have missed their slot and will not be re-called.
The following safety protocols are in effect for those entering the Administrative Offices to attend School Board meetings:
Only people signed up to speak to the School Board will be allowed to enter the building. No public viewing area will be available during public comment.
The public will be able to view the business portion of the School Board meeting in the School Board Meeting Room once public comment has ended.
All persons and items entering the building are subject to search.
The following items will not be allowed inside the LCPS Administrative Offices: bags and purses, backpacks, food, sticks or rods of any kind, voice-enhancement devices, aerosols, noise-making devices, mace, pepper spray, weapons of any kind.
Mask-wearing for those attending the September 14 meeting in-person will follow LCPS’ current guidance for the 2021-2022 school year and posted signs at the LCPS Administrative Offices.
There will be no public access to bathrooms or other facilities inside the LCPS Administrative Offices.
The meeting will be live-streamed on LCPS.org and televised on Comcast channel 18 and Verizon FIOS channel 43.
Published October 1, 2021