- Loudoun County Public Schools
School Board Summary February 11th
The Loudoun County School Board adopted five action items and heard four information items at its Tuesday, February 11, meeting.
The naming of two new elementary schools opening in the fall of 2021 were among the actions items.
Elaine E. Thompson Elementary School is the name for ES-23, a Dulles North area elementary school located in the Arcola Center development off Evergreen Mills Road. Elaine E. Thompson’s life was lived in service of promoting education and expanding equality and opportunity for all. She was an influential leader, a model of achievement and a champion of social justice.
Hovatter Elementary School will be the name of ES-29. This school is co-located on the Lightridge High School site in Aldie, which is in the Dulles South area. The land on which this school is located was previously the 151-acre Hovatter Farm. The Hovatter family sold the property to Loudoun County for the greater good of the community to fulfil the wishes of Sibyl Hovatter who, along with her husband, Elbert, established the farm.
In other action items, the School Board approved:
- A proclamation celebrating Black History Month.
- A proclamation recognizing Career and Technical Education Month.
- Adoption of an alternative AP US Government and Comparative Politics textbook, “Essentials of Comparative Politics with Cases, Edition: Sixth.”
The information items presented to the School Board included:
- The presentation of Policy 5095 (Formerly Policy 5-16), Participation in the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST).
- The presentation of Policy 5210 (formerly Policy 5-45), Classroom Placement of Twins.
- The presentation of Policy 8280, Corporal Punishment Prohibited (Formerly 8-30).
- Information related to the FY21 Teacher Salary Scale.
Alexis Legan, a senior at Riverside High School, and Alli Hou, a senior at Stone Bridge High School, were introduced as the February student School Board members. Arjun Setty, an eighth-grader from River Bend Middle School, led the meeting in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.