- Loudoun County Public Schools
Laycock Among Valley Hall of Fame Honorees
Recently retired William and Mary Head Football Coach and Loudoun Valley alumnus Jimmye Laycock will return to Purcellville on Friday, October 4th, to be recognized in the Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
There will be a reception for the honorees at 5 p.m. in the high school’s cafeteria. They will then be honored at halftime of the Valley-Heritage football game.
Kickoff is 7 p.m.
Laycock was inducted with the first class of inductees in 2009 but, because of his coaching responsibilities, was never formally recognized. Laycock is a 1966 graduate of Loudoun Valley where he was an outstanding football, basketball and baseball athlete and was named the Outstanding Male Athlete for 1966. His number 2 is the only football jersey to be retired at Loudoun Valley. He went on to continue his football career at William and Mary where he played defensive back and quarterback and earned a varsity letter at both positions. After William and Mary he coached at Clemson, the Citadel and Memphis State before returning to William and Mary in 1980 to become its head coach. One of the most successful coaches in the history of college football, Laycock finished his remarkable 39-year career at William & Mary with 249 wins – a total that ranks tied for 24th all-time.
Other Athletic Hall of Fame inductees include:
- Aaron McCleary, a state champion on the 800 relay team and basketball (2003-2004) and track team (2004) captain.
- Chris Lockhart, 1991 Outstanding Male Athlete, Baseball MVP. He also won the football team’s Outstanding Defensive Player Award in 1990.
- Roger Blakeney, the Vikings’ head track coach (1976-1985), assistant track coach (1975, 2008, 2009), head junior varsity and freshman football coach (1976-1994) and assistant varsity football coach (1974-1975).
- Jackie George, softball team captain (1980) and member of two district championship softball teams (1978-79). She also played basketball for Valley between 1976 and 1980.
- Kerrie Pingley Ely, 1992 Basketball MVP Award,1992 Softball MVP and basketball captain (1992).
- Todd Woodall, football captain (1988) first team All-District Track (1988) and member of the baseball team (1986,1987, 1989).