- Loudoun County Public Schools
LCPS Releasing Virtual First Day August 12th
Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) is working to reduce the amount of paper forms sent home for parent signature at the start of the school year.
At 8 a.m. on Monday, August 12th, an email with a link to the LCPS Virtual First Day will be sent to all parents and guardians through Blackboard Connect.
Virtual First Day provides parents/guardians with access to review and acknowledge forms and to make student information updates in ParentVUE, as needed.
If a parent or guardian doesn’t have a ParentVUE account, he or she should receive an invitation to create one via email from the LCPS Department of Digital Innovation by Friday, August 9th. If you have misplaced your user name, please contact the school of your youngest student to retrieve it. If you need to reset your password, please use the “forgot password” link at www.portal.lcps.org.
There are required and optional forms in Virtual First Day.
Electronic acknowledgement of the 2019-2020 Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook is required for every student. (To electronically acknowledge the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, a pdf must be downloaded in ParentVUE).
The following items are a part of the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook:
- Acceptable/Responsible Use Policy. LCPS has rewritten this for students in friendly terms that model appropriate technology uses.
- Military Recruiting Opt Out. The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requires LCPS to release student names, addresses and telephone numbers to military recruiters. The law also requires LCPS to notify students and parents of their right to opt out of having this information released.
- Photo Release Opt Out. Parents/guardians may elect not to have their child photographed or videotaped for use in public-accessible media and may further request that no individual pictures be used in the school yearbook and that the child not be a part of classroom photographs.
- Release of Student Contact information to Non-School Officials. This is in response to a state law that allows the release of directory information to elected officials and other non-school entities who may use this information to distribute congratulatory letters.
Student information that can be updated in ParentVUE:
- Emergency contacts
- Health concerns/conditions
- Family Life Education Opt Out
- Weather Opt Out (LCPS utilizes the Blackboard Connect Phone Messaging System to personally communicate with parents about emergency situations, school events and important issues affecting your child. If you choose to opt-out of this system, you grant permission for your child to be removed from the “Weather-related” Closing and Delay messages only. You will still be entered into the system for emergency and outreach messages.)
- Military Connected Status (This information is used by the Virginia Department of Education and U.S. Department of Education.)
- Alternate transportation requests for LCPS transportation
- Standard After-School Dismissal Plan (daycare/walker/etc.)
- Art Media Release
- Emergency/Early Dismissal Plans
- Physician Information
The Virtual First Day webpage will be housed under “Discover LCPS” on the LCPS website, www.lcps.org and on individual school websites under “Virtual First Day.”
To support parents in completing these tasks, representatives of the Department of Digital Innovation (DDI) will be staffing Room 102 A and B of the LCPS Administration Building from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, August 12th. The LCPS Administration Building is located at 21000 Education Court in Ashburn. They are available to assist parents who need help:
- Activating their ParentVUE account;
- Getting passwords reset;
- Resolving duplicate parent accounts;
- Navigating the acknowledgements and updating student info (including Opt Outs) – Virtual First Day content;
- Setting up the ParentVUE mobile app;
- Anything else related to ParentVUE.