Amy Wheeler, Supervisor571-252-1430
In response to the requirements of Section 22.1-207.1 of the Code of Virginia, Loudoun County Public Schools has implemented a comprehensive, sequential, abstinence-based, age-appropriate Family Life Education curriculum grades 4-10.
The Loudoun County Family Life Education (FLE) curriculum is designed to:
- Emphasize the importance of family
- Stress the need for individuals to make decisions appropriate to values established within their families;
- Assist students of all ages in accepting the responsibilities for and consequences of their behavior;
- Encourage child-parent discussion in order to foster mutual support between the home and the school; and
- Stress the value of life and the multiplicity of opportunities available to young people.
Although the Family Life Education curriculum is compatible with existing curricula and serves to enrich the educational experiences of the students in the Loudoun County Public Schools, some objectives in the Family Life Education curriculum may be considered sensitive by some parents. Therefore, parents may choose to opt their child out of the program.
For 2018-19, there will be additions to the Family Life Education (FLE) curriculum for middle and high school grades to include Human Trafficking (HT) and expanded content related to dating violence (Safe Dates). LCPS has partnered with Just Ask to train teachers and make the new HT content available. Updated grade level curriculum documents will be available in school libraries and at the parent preview this fall.
SOLs by grade level can be found on the FLE web page: click here.
If you decide to opt your child out of FLE, the request can be made via ParentVUE in the fall. (see directions below)
- Log into ParentVUE (PVUE), click "student info" then "edit info"
- Scroll down to the section titled "opt-outs"
- Change the status to say "yes" if you choose to opt-out of FLE
- Then, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "save changes". This will update the system - thank you!