Behind the WheelWhy take Behind the Wheel at JCHS?
- Behind the Wheel at JCHS is taught by Loudoun County Public Schools staff members. More so than any private company, our instructors communicate with teenagers on a daily basis. Our instructors have ties to the JCHS community and care about our students and their families.
- Behind the Wheel at JCHS is convenient. Our instructors will work to accommodate students’ busy schedules. We offer before-school, after-school, evening, and Saturday sessions to meet the needs of our students and their families.
- Behind the Wheel at JCHS is affordable. In fact, we are THE MOST affordable option available, and by far the best value program you will find.
- Behind the Wheel at JCHS is AVAILABLE! With more instructors on staff than ever before, you shouldn’t have to wait long at all to be scheduled.
What do I need before I sign up for Behind the Wheel?
- Valid Virginia learner’s permit
- Completion of classroom Driver Education program (if currently enrolled in Driver Education at JCHS, students my concurrently enroll in Behind the Wheel with a JCHS instructor, provided they have completed 18 class periods with an “A” average) – Please note: If you completed Driver Education at a different school, we will need to get the “Certificate of Completion” from that school.
- Students and parent(s) must complete the 45 hour log before student is eligible to receive their Temporary Driver’s License (Completion of a minimum of 25-30 hours is strongly encouraged before enrolling in Behind the Wheel)
- Students and parent(s) must attend a “Parents for Safe Teen Driving” presentation.
How do I sign up for Behind the Wheel?
- Go to the Guidance office and get the appropriate paperwork from Ms. Giampaoli
- Once you return the completed paperwork, along with your payment of $225 (please make check payable to “JCHS”, you will be contacted by a JCHS instructor.
What to expect from the JCHS Behind the Wheel program:
What do I need if I am driving with a Private Company?
- A 7-day program designed to hone and assess the skills of student drivers.
- Students MUST be paired with another student driver for all seven sessions. Students wishing to be paired with a friend should let Ms. Giampaoli know when registering.
- During each session, the student will spend half the time driving, and the other half observing another student driver. Students will receive instruction while driving and while observing.
- Students will drive in various environments. Each session will be progressively more challenging than the last.
- The seventh and final session will consist of the Road Skills Evaluation. If the student passes the evaluation, they will be eligible to receive their Temporary Driver’s License (students who meet all other requirements can receive their TDL at the conclusion of their evaluation).
- Students wishing to take Behind the Wheel through a private company will need a DEC-1 pink card. You can request it 2 ways:
- Online through filling out this electronic request
- OR come to the Office of School Counseling to request your DEC-1 card.
- It takes approximately 2-3 days to get the certificate - so ask early! You must have attended the "Partners for Safe Teen Driving" presentation to get your certificate. This is required by the Code of Virginia.