All professionally licensed personnel holding a five-year renewable Virginia license must renew their license as required by the regulations of the State Board of Education. Individuals are required to earn 180 professional development points to renew their license. Renewal points can be accrued by completion of activities through one or more of the following eight options:
1. College credit - Acceptable coursework offers content that provides new information and is offered by a regionally accredited two-year or four-year college or university. Courses must be taken for credit, and the license holder must earn a passing grade or a "pass" in courses taken on a "pass" or "fail" basis.)
2. Professional conference
3. Curriculum development
4. Publication of article
5. Publication of book
7. Educational project
8. Professional development activity
Please access MyLearningPlan to review your transcript of professional development activities. Please submit a copy as part of the renewal packet if you use Option 8.
If you are licensed and endorsed to teach (i) middle school civics or economics or (ii) high school government or history, license renewal cannot be processed without completing the module or professional development course specifically related to Virginia history or state and local government that has a value of five professional developments. Successful completion of the module at the following website will satisfy this renewal requirement - http://www.civiceducationva.org/
At the time of renewal, please submit the following documents (as applicable) as a complete renewal packet to your assigned Licensure Specialist:
NEW Dyslexia Training: Effective July 1, 2017, the Code of Virginia requires that every person seeking renewal of a license shall complete awareness training, provided by VDOE, on the indicators of dyslexia, and the evidence-based interventions and accommodations for dyslexia. DYSLEXIA AWARENESS TRAINING CERTIFICATE: Individuals completing the module should print a copy of the certificate for verification
- Technology Competencies Verification – Submit the Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel Proficiency form (TSIP). (Not needed if your license lists standards as met.)
- Official transcripts (if using Option 1 – College Credit)
- A $25.00 processing fee made payable to the County of Loudoun or pay on line at the following website
https://webinter.lcps.org/PaymentPortal/Index.aspx. If you have an additional request to process, such as an endorsement addition or degree change, then you will need to submit an additional $25.00 processing fee.
Renewal packets may be submitted beginning May 1st prior to the year in which your license expires. Please feel free to access the VDOE License Query to confirm the year of your license.
Please Note: You are reminded that your teaching license is your teaching license. You should maintain accurate records of each license renewal activity and keep copies of all information. Should you leave the employment of Loudoun County Public Schools, the license renewal information you maintain is what you will take with you to your next destination. You should make certain all information is accurate and signed by your renewal advisor (Principal, Assistant Principal, or Supervisor).