• Frequently Asked Questions:
    1. What can I do if I suspect that my child might have a disability?
    Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) must ensure that all children with disabilities living within its jurisdiction are located, identified, evaluated and have a determination made regarding their need to receive special education and related services.
    • Birth through age two, LCPS coordinates with the Infant and Toddler Connection Office (703-777-0561).
    • All school-aged children through grade three shall be screened within 60 business days of initial enrollment in public school in the areas of speech, voice and language as well as fine and gross motor skills. Also, all children within 60 business days of the initial enrollment in school shall be screened in vision and hearing.
    • Children who attend private schools in Loudoun County, who are wards of the state and reside in Loudoun County, who are home-schooled, who are highly mobile, migrant or homeless, or who will be incarcerated in a regional or local jail for more than ten days, must also be identified.

    If you suspect that your child might have a disability, please contact your child’s teacher or principal. For children who are not yet school age, contact the Child Find Office on 20 Union Street, Leesburg, (571-252-2180) to request a screening. Screenings for children aged two through five are held weekly.

    2. What is the Child Study Process?

    As required by the Virginia Department of Education, a child study committee shall be established in each school to review records and other performance evidence of the children referred through a screening process, or by school staff, the parent or parents, or other individuals. The child study committee is a committee that enables school personnel and non-school personnel, as appropriate, to meet the needs of individualchildren who are having difficulty in the educational setting. The committee reviews existing data to make recommendations to meet children's needs and reviews the results of implementation of the recommendations. The child study committee may refer children for evaluation to eligibility for special education and related services. (Please refer to the website for additional information.)

    3. I am not happy with the decision the Child Study Team made concerning my child. What should I do?

    When the Child Study Committee reviews your child’s progress in the classroom, they may recommend specific interventions for the general education classroom. Your child’s response to these interventions will be monitored and additional data gathered and analyzed. If these interventions are not sufficient, the special education assessment process can continue.

    If you disagree with the recommendations from the Child Study Team, you may contact the school principal, special education supervisor, or the director of special education.

    4. I disagree with the decision that my child is not in need of assessments for special education services. What can I do?

    You should contact either:
    • The chairperson of the Child Study Committee, usually the school’s assistant principal
    • Elma Allen, LCPS Monitoring and Compliance Specialist, directly at 571-252-1011

    An administrative review of the eligibility committee’s decision will be scheduled at a mutually convenient time for you and the school staff.

    5. I do not agree with the assessments that LCPS staff completed for my child. What recourse do I have?

    If you disagree with an assessment completed by LCPS staff, you may request an independent educational evaluation (IEE) that will be completed at the school system’s expense. LCPS maintains a list of local professionals who are not employed by the school system who are qualified to complete independent educational evaluations and will make this list available to you

    You may also have assessments completed at your personal expense. LCPS will consider the results of these assessments in the provision of your child’s educational program if you choose to make them available.

    6. I do not think the goals on my child’s IEP are sufficient to meet his needs and the team seems to think they are appropriate. To whom can I address my concerns?

    You may request that the IEP team convene for a “Review/Revision” meeting to discuss your concerns and make any modifications to your child’s IEP. You may contact:
    • Special education contact person at your child’s school, usually the school’s assistant principal.
    • Your child’s case manager, usually the special education teacher, who serves your child
    • Special education supervisor

    7. What are the steps a parent should take when they disagree with a decision made in any part of the special education process: identification, evaluation, eligibility, and IEP development?

    Parents should attempt to resolve any disagreement around these issues at the school level by contacting the building principal. If the issue is not resolved to satisfaction, parents may contact central office staff as follows:
    • Special education supervisor
    • Director of special education

Last Modified on September 19, 2016