All research conducted in Loudoun County Public Schools requires written approval. Studies subject to approval include thesis and dissertation research by graduate students, university research projects, surveys by non-LCPS entities, and program evaluations sponsored by external organizations.
Research Approval Process
- Submit a completed Research Request Form to the Research Office (Research@lcps.org). All fields of the form must be addressed. Attach data collection instruments, consent forms, IRB approval documentation and other pertinent documents. Doctoral students must provide the first three chapters of the dissertation.
- The Research Office will acknowledge receipt of the proposal and request clarifying information as needed.
- The research request is reviewed within the relevant LCPS department and school. Final approval is granted by an assistant superintendent.
- The researcher will be notified of the approval decision.
- If approved, the researcher may conduct the study. If the research involves school staff or students, the researcher must coordinate a schedule with the school principal. Central Office approval does not guarantee the approval of the principal.
- After the study is completed, the researcher will provide a final copy of the published report to the Research Office.
- Estimated time for review is 4-6 weeks.
- Research proposals are not reviewed in August.
- Incentives for participation are not permitted.
- Parental consent must be obtained for student participants.
- Consent forms must state that participation is voluntary.
- Refer to the School Board Research Policy for further requirements and restrictions.
- Benefit to LCPS;
- Design of the research study, data collection instruments, target population, intended audience and summary report;
- Impact on instructional time; and
- Amount of staff time required to support the study.