Hello 5th grade parents and students! I am so excited to be teaching 5th grade for my 14th year at Liberty Elementary! I am originally from Grand Haven, Michigan. I grew up only 5 minutes from the beautiful Lake Michigan, where I would spend most of my summer at the beach! I graduated from Grand Valley State University with my B.A. degree in English and Elementary Education.
Teaching has always been a passion of mine since I was young. I love guiding children to explore, discuss, create, and discover the power of knowledge independently and with each other! My goal is to create a classroom community that fosters and celebrates individuality, creativity, STEM and PBL opportunities, technology, and engagement in the discovery of learning!
Over the summer, I enjoyed time with my husband and son, Warren, who is 1 1/2 years old now. It has been so nice to be home with him this summer, playing with him and watching him discover new things. He loves being outside, going to the playgrounds and splash pads, swinging on his swing in the backyard, reading books, singing, and playing with his ball pit, and picking up all the rocks and sticks that he can find. Over the summer, we took a trip to Michigan to visit my family for a couple of weeks. We went to the beach, which Warren absolutely loved, rode our bikes downtown, and spent quality time with our family. It was a great summer!
I am ready to start another exciting school year! I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and creating lasting memories of an unforgettable 5th grade year!
Here are some fun facts about me:
- I took a volunteer trip to Costa Rica to help teach English
- I love to travel and have had the opportunity to go to some beautiful places, including Japan, Germany, France, Italy.
- I ran my first half marathon in the Rock N'Roll Marathon and Half Marathon in D.C. about 9 years ago now. I love running 5ks throughout the year.
-I have three brothers, 2 nieces, and 1 nephew.
- I have a Vizsla named Indy who is 3 years old. He is full of energy and loves to cuddle on the couch and go places in the car.
- In my free time, I like to read, listen to music, sing, stay active by running, dancing, doing yoga, hiking, skiing and hula hooping!
-My favorite color is any shade of purple.
-My favorite animals are elephants, owls, hummingbirds, and cheetahs.
-I love coffee!
-I love shopping at Target, Homegoods, and TJ Maxx
-My favorite season is Autumn! I love everything about it; the cooler weather, the colorful leaves, and fall decorations!
I can't wait to learn more about each of you and all your favorite things!