The LCPS Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) is mandated by the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia which reflect the state and federal requirements for the provision of special education and related services to children with disabilities in the Commonwealth. The functions of SEAC, as specified by Section 8VAC20-81-230 D.2 of these regulations are to:
- Advise the local school division of needs in the education of special education (SPED) students;
- Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the needs;
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of SPED students to the school board;
- Assist LCPS in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of students with disabilities for educational services;
- Review the policies and procedures for the provision of special education and related services prior to submission to the school board; and
- Participate in the review of the LCPS’s annual plan.
SEAC invites parents of students receiving special education services to serve as your school’s PTA/PTO Representative to SEAC. The SEAC Representative is expected to attend monthly SEAC business meetings and is responsible for distributing a monthly report to SPED families and staff at your school. We provide the brief monthly report to make it as easy as possible for your representative to share. Business meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the LCPS Administration Building where issues of importance to the SPED community are raised by parents, teachers, administrators and others through a public comment process and then discussed by SEAC to determine whether each issue is systemic. If so, the issue will be referred to a SEAC subcommittee to discuss further, gather more information, and make recommendations to LCPS and the School Board, as appropriate.
If you are interested in serving as your school’s SEAC representative, please speak with your PTA/PTO President to volunteer to serve in this capacity and forward your contact information to SEACViceChairMembership@lcps.org as soon as possible.
SEAC will conduct an orientation for all PTA/PTO SEAC Representatives and SEAC Members on Wednesday, September 5, 2018 from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. at the LCPS Administration Building. We encourage you to attend this orientation to meet and network with other parents and SEAC leaders. Slides from the orientation will also be posted to the SEAC website.
For more information about SEAC and/or the PTA/PTO Representative role, please visit the SEAC Website at: www.lcps.org/seac. You may also follow us on Facebook for updates and information.
Best wishes for a successful school year,
Dr. Carol Williams-Nickelson, LCPS Chair of SEAC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr. Suzanne Jimenez, LCPS Director of Special Education (Suzanne.email@example.com)