What is a parent liaison?
- A parent liaison is a person who works to bridge the communication between school and home by helping parents get the information, help and support they need to ensure their child's academic and social success in school. Our Parent Liaison can be reached at Sam.Woodard@lcps.org. Mrs. Woodard is here to help Arcola Families in a variety of capacities.
How can the parent liaison help me?
- Often, parent feel uncomfortable about sharing their questions or concerns witht he teachers or school administration. Because good communication between home and school is such a vital part of your child's academic success, the Parent Liaison will listen to your concerns and then work with you to make sure that your situation, question or point of view is expressed and understood. They will help support you if you need to find ways to resolve any issues that may be hindering your child's success in school. The Parent Liaison wants to be sure that you understand what you can do to get involved, keep informed, share information and help your child do his or her best.
WHAT KIND OF ASSISTANCE CAN THE LIAISON PROVIDE?
- They will provide you with a personal tour of the school and explain the prgorams and resources available to you and your child. You do not have to be a new parent to get a school tour.
- They will discuss some of the ways you can be more involved with the school.
- They will answer questions you may have about school rules and regulations.
- Working closely with the school guidance counselor, they will help arrange meeting between you and your child's teachers or the school administration so that important information about your child is shared and understood.
- At your request, they will acccompany you to a parent conference, or other important meetings at the school to help clarify information about your child or home situation.
- They will help you arrange for an intepreter if you need to communiation in your own language.
SPECIAL HELP AND SERVICES
1. Food Services:
- Dulles South Food Pantry distributes food to familis on Wednesdays by appointment. They are located at the Arcola United Methodist Church, 24757 Evergreen Mills Road, Dulles VA 20166. You may call them at 703-507-2795 or email at email Dulles South Food Pantry. Look at their website for more information Dulles South Food Pantry
- ShareHouse is a free monthly community exchange/giveaway of clothing. They provide clothing to families in need on the first Monday of each month. ShareHouse is next open on Monday, November 6th from 4:00-6:0PM for families to select clothing. Click on this link for more information about the ShareHouse clothing exchange.ShareHouse Clothing Exchange
- Irene's Prom Closet has homecoming attire and accessories for students in-need. Email Irene's Closet for More Information
- Affordable Dwelling Units, One bedroom apartments available through the ADU program here in Stone Ridge. Information on Housing
- Loudoun Workforce Center Employment Opportunities Through Loudoun Workforce Center
- Crosswords Jobs, Inc. A free employment service, 703-771-4112 Crossroads Jobs Website
- Famis- low cost health insurance for kids Famis Health Coverage 1-855-242-8282
- Loudoun Cares, provides information and referrals to county and private organizations that can help with a variety of health and human services. Call the hotline or visit the website, 703-669-4636 Loudoun Cares
- Healthworks- provides comprehensive medical, dental and behavioral health care at an affordale for all members of the community. They have a sliding fee discount program which provides a discount on fees based on your household income and size. Call 703-443-2000 (Leesburg Office), 703-481-8160 (Herndon Office) or Healthworks website
- Simplicity Health- clinics provide culturally and ethnically sensitive primary care services at affordable fees. Call 571-665-6500 for more information. They are located at 46440 Benedict Drive, Suite 208, Sterling VA 20164
- Gum Springs Library has an English Conversation Group meeting at 7:00 pm on Tuesdays and noon on Thursday.
- Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church offeres English classes for those who speak another language. Call 703-327-4461 for information on classes.
- International Learning Center, Leesburg VA provides English Classes with Child Care
7. HOLIDAY HELP!
- If you would like help with the holidays, with food, clothing or gifts for your children, please use this form to tell Mrs. Woodard what you are looking for! Help with the Holidays