Welcome to the English Language Learner ProgramThe English Language Learner Program (ELL) in Loudoun County Public Schools is a resource program designed to support English language learners as they gain language proficiency and become active, engaged learners. Following are the main elements of the ELL program:
- Listening: learning to understand spoken English in social and academic contexts;
- Speaking: learning to speak English with increasing accuracy and fluency to convey meaning appropriate to a wide range of social and academic contexts;
- Reading: learning to read English with increasing fluency and comprehension for a variety of purposes;
- Writing: learning to produce written English with increasing fluency and accuracy to convey meaning appropriately in a range of social and academic contexts.
At Sterling Elementary, the ELL team strives to incorporate second language acquisition and SIOP strategies in planning and implementing lessons within each grade level classroom. We are responsible for the administration of the ACCESS for ELLs (Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State-to-State for English Language Learners). ACCESS is the language proficiency assessment given to kindergarten through 12th graders who have been identified as English Language Learners. It is given annually to monitor students' progress in acquiring academic English.
The Parents as Educational Partners (PEP) Program in LCPS promotes parent involvement in the school community for parents whose primary language is not English. The PEP program participants attend classes to learn about the educational system in the United States and with the LCPS, gaining information that will enable them to be decision makers and advocates in their children’s education.We encourage a home/school partnership through the following outreach opportunities:
Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.
- Paperwork Assistance Night
- Reading Information Meetings
- Multicultural/Diversity Celebration
- Telephone and Personal contacts