Art at Seldens Landing
SLES Art Class Mission Statement: In Art Class, our mission is to foster and encourage curiosity, creative thinking, artistic growth, and visual learning in the classroom and beyond.
Art is the most ancient and basic form of human communication. The need to communicate visually is within every human being to some degree, and it is crucial for an advanced-thinking society to continue to foster these internal needs on an academic level. Here at Seldens Landing, we use art class to allow students to exercise these basic human needs, as well as foster important developmental motor skills and creative thinking skills. As illustrated in Daniel Pink's book, "A Whole New Mind", for a society to succeed, it must strive to make art education and creative thinking a top priority. Art is far more than decorative - it allows us to learn about the world and about ourselves through the use of visual language. At Seldens Landing we understand this and implement this understanding within the art curriculum.
15 Things Your Child Learns from Art:
1. Develops creative thinking.
2. Provides means of communication and self-expression.
3. Serves as an emotional release.
4. Strengthens the self-concept and confidence.
5. Increases self-understanding.
6. Heightens aesthetic awareness and sensitivity.
7. Enhances the ability to visualize.
8. Provides problem-solving/decision-making opportunities.
9. Develops appreciation for the individuality of others.
10. Leads to the integration of the individual.
11. Serves as a balance to classroom activities.
12. Aids physical coordination.
13. Develops work habits and a sense of responsibility.
14. Aids the adult in understanding and helping the child.
15. Generates joy.