"A Caring, Learning Community"School ColorsRed and Black
School Philosophy Statement
We will continuously improve our efforts to create conditions essential for the success of all students.Our SchoolSeldens Landing Elementary School opened in August 2001. Details:
School Mission Statement
43345 Coton Commons Drive, Leesburg Virginia 20176
School Hours are 7:50 a.m. - 2:35 p.m.
Office Hours are 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Absentee call in: 571-252-2262
We expect students to use their skills to be problem solvers and contributing members of a democratic society. We believe we can prepare our students to become active learners. Children will be taught to use their academic skills to access, interpret, and analyze information. We will strive to create a safe and encouraging environment for cooperation, tolerance, and acceptance of individuals.
Seldens Landing HistoryThere is a Selden’s Island on the Virginia side of the Potomac. It is quite large. April 1821 Ludwell Lee and Richard H. Lee sold the island to Dr. Wilson Cary Selden, Sr. It was called EDEN ISLAND and was granted to Thomas Lee by the Crown of England. In April 1846, Mary B. Selden, widow of Wilson Cary Selden, Sr. gave it to her son. The amount of land comprised 365 acres. January, 1923 Land was deeded to George William Summers.Why is our address Coton Commons Drive?
Coton is pronounced "coat-in." It is named after the Coton Plantation that existed in this area. Thomas Ludwell Lee, Jr. inherited the plantation from his father and made extensive additions to the manor house in 1803. He added a distillery, mill, stone kitchen-laundry, stone meat house and a frame office. In 1852, the Lee occupation of the plantation ended. The land was split and the two tracts changed hands several times before 1971 when the Xerox Corporation purchased the site.