Welcome To Cool Spring Elementary Music!
Music is an expression of the human spirit and a fundamental aspect of all human culture. Music is a unique way of knowing. Knowing about yourself and the world.
All students in grades K-5 will have music twice weekly. Music is best learned through the processes of performing, creating, and listening. Students at Cool Spring will be performing through singing and playing instruments, alone and with others. We will be creating original compositions as well as improvising. Critical listening is one of the most important ways to foster musicianship, and this will be a fundamental aspect throughout all of our lessons. In keeping with our National Standards, musical concepts will be taught in the context of a broad range of culturally and historically authentic music in a variety of styles and genres.
National Standards for Music Education
The music curriculum in Loudoun County Public Schools is aligned with state and national standards. Listed below are the national standards for music education:
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
For more information on the national standards, please visit the website at: www.menc.org
To view the standards used for assessments by grade level click this link: Virginia Music Standards