A Balanced Literacy ApproachThe Reading Program at Ashburn Elementary is a balanced literacy program. This approach to instruction involves teaching children to use the three cueing systems: meaning, sentence structure, and graphophonics (the relationship between letters and their sounds) in learning to read. Instruction integrates reading with thinking, writing, listening, and speaking.
On behalf of each student the following objectives are set:
· To develop basic skills that enable them to get meaning from print.
· To think critically about what is read.
· To use reading across the curriculum as a tool for learning.
· To experience the rewards and pleasures of reading.
· To become independent writers who write for a variety of purposes.