Overview- Eligibility and Requirements
Potomac Falls High SchoolScience National Honor Society**Next Meeting TBA**Join the Google Meet using the nickname: "pfhs-snhs"2021-22 Officers:President:Vice President/Communication:Secretary:
HOW TO APPLY
Information will be posted in our Schoology Group.Statement of Purpose
The society acknowledges the accomplishments of exceptional science students at Potomac Falls High School. The society will:
· promote collaboration between students
· provide support for our school science symposium
· promote increased understanding of careers in science
· encourage excellence within the science curriculum· encourage students to pursue science beyond high schoolMembership Criteria
- Be in the eleventh or twelfth grade,
- Maintain a unweighted 3.5 (B+) average in science courses & a 3.0 overall, unweighted,
- Take two research, upper level, AP, or DE science course before graduation from high school (see below for list of courses)
- Complete at least one AP or DE science course by graduation.
- Aspiring members must not have been removed from SNHS membership previously for any reason
Research/Upper level courses : Research Earth Science, Research Biology, Research Chemistry, Physics, Independent Science Research, AOS classesAP courses : AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, AP Environmental Science
DE courses: DE Physics, DE BiologyStudents transferring to Loudoun County from other school systems will need to see Mr. Shangraw and Mr. Daniel to determine their eligibility.
Membership Requirements after Acceptance
Service points earned through:
- Monthly meeting attendance (can only miss 2/year). The only excused absences are for field trips that leave before the school day begins and therefore eliminates the possibility of you attending the meeting. You have 2 absences- use them wisely. Save them for when you are out sick, etc. Once you have missed the 3rd meeting, your name is immediately removed from our roster and you will recieve an e-mail stating that you have not met the requirements for membership. Occassionaly meeting time or day may be changed due to AP testing, etc. You will recieve notification.
- Dues ($30) (goes toward national dues, scholarships, etc...)
- Earn 9 service points per semester, track and submit service record in January & May.
Participate in the fund raiser (organize = 3 pts., help out = 1-2 pts)
Attendance at speaker event (3 pts.)
Maintenance of science safety equipment- flushing eye washes in science rooms weekly. (1/2 pt per week)
Assist a science teacher with lab clean-up, inventory, etc. Arrange this with teacher. (1 pt = 45 min.)
Present (slide presentation) during a monthly meeting: Do you have a science related job? Do you volunteer at the hospital? Are you involved in an activity that would be of interest to SNHS members? (15 min = 2 pt. or 30 min = 4pt.)
Feature Friday Submission recognizing a day of historical science significance. ex. DNA Day, Earth Day, Darwin's bday, Mendel's bday, etc... (1-3 pts)
- Other possibilites as approved by Mr. Shangraw or Mr. Daniel.