Degrees and Certifications:
My name is Anne Collins and I am so excited to join the wonderful team at Algonkian Elementary School! My children – Lucy (16) and Leo (14) – went to Algonkian and loved it; it is a special place! I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education, a Master’s Degree in Curriculum and Instruction (both from Virginia Tech), and also completed Gifted Education training at William & Mary.
In 2002, I started teaching for Fairfax County Public Schools and have taught 3rd grade and 5th grade. I was also the Director for a Gifted Education Center. Outside of the classroom, I have been teaching piano lessons for more than 30 years and to over 300 students.
My passion for teaching stems from my love of children and my desire to help them achieve their full potential. Our classroom environment will foster creativity, curiosity, a love of learning…and FUN! I am very excited to meet my new students and their families. We are going to have a great year together!
Mrs. Collins’ Philosophy of Teaching
- I believe that every child should have a positive experience in school.
- I believe in the importance of building each student’s self-esteem. I want the children to feel good about themselves, and when they do, the quality of their work will rise. Their self-efficacy to take on challenges and find success will also surge.
- I believe in the significance of developing friendships and a sense of community in the classroom.
- I believe in utilizing many different learning styles. Every child has a unique, individualized way of learning.
- I believe that intelligence is not how much you know or how fast you learn, but rather how you behave when you don’t know the answer.
- I believe in the power of observation and documentation. I use personal observations of students to incorporate their interests and needs into the curriculum.
- I believe in continued professional development.
- I believe in learning with and from my students. I do not think of a classroom as 25 students and one teacher, but rather 26 students and 26 teachers.
- I believe in consistently doing what is best for the children.
- I believe in capitalizing on children’s innate desire to learn.
Educator of the Year: Northern Virginia – 2004
Community Builders Award: Ashburn-Sterling Lodge #288 – 2019
Class Wish List