- We will typically have 20 preschool students in the program.
- Preschoolers must be bathroom independent and three (3) years of age by October 1 the year they enter preschool, and may not turn six (6) before June 1st their last year in preschool.
- The Preschool follows the LCPS calendar but starts in mid-October and ends in late May. We are closed for snow days, student holidays, teacher work days, and other special closings.
- The preschool is a class for high school students called Early Childhood Education. Each high school student is paired with a preschool student (or two). The high school students run the preschool under the supervision of their teacher.
- This is a learning experience for our high school students. The preschool is their "learning lab." We aim for a mutually beneficial relationship - the high school students are learning to care for and teach children while building relationships, and the preschool students are gaining age and developmentally appropriate instruction. The high school students are "in training." They are not trained professionals.
- We follow a theme based curriculum in preschool. The high school students plan the lessons and activities. Each lesson/activity stresses at least one of the Kindergarten Readiness Skills.
2022-2023 School Year Registration Information
4/25/2023 Update: Registration for this school year started in the spring of 2022, and has been confirmed. We have filled the required minimum spaces this year to meet the needs of our high school students. With only a few weeks left in the school year, we would not be filling any openings that could come up.
2023-2024 School Year Registration Information
Our roster for 2023-2024 has been filled.
Registration for LCPS employees and returning families started in February 2023. Returning families could keep their roster spots, and LCPS employees are given priority in registration. From March 20th - March 30th there was a sign-up for a lottery for open spots. Those that did not receive a roster spot were placed on the wait-list in the order of submission. If you did not complete the lottery form, but would like to be added to the Waitlist for the 2023-2024 school year, please click here to complete the waitlist form.
If you are assigned a roster spot in the preschool, we will email you, asking that you fill out the following forms, and submit them along with a deposit later in the year:
- Preschool Student Information Form
- School Health Entrance Form and Tuberculosis Screening
**We will not know for certain the 2023-2024 preschool schedule until summer 2023 after the high school master schedule has been built.** However, it is likely that preschool will be 4 days a week, from approximately 11:30 or 12:00 to 2:30 on two days, and 11:30 or 12:00 to 3:45 on two days. Tuition would be $975 to $1125 for community members (depending on the actual hours) - that would be the cost for the entire year**
Mrs. Emily McCord
Mrs. McCord started teaching for LCPS in 2014, and the 2022-2023 school year is her 14th year teaching Family and Consumer Sciences! She is teaching academic Early Childhood Education 1 and 2, Dual Enrollment Early Childhood Education 1 and 2, and Teacher Cadet. In addition to teaching FACS, Mrs. McCord serves as the Teacher Leader for Educators Rising.
Mrs. McCord is a 2005 graduate of Lewis County High School in Weston, West Virginia. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Family and Consumer Science Secondary Education as a 2009 Graduate of Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia. Mrs. McCord completed her her Master's in Early Childhood Education from George Mason University in 2019.
She lives in Haymarket with her husband Mr. McCord who teaches social studies at Freedom, their sons Seton (3rd grader) and Beckett (1st grader), daughter Evryn (age 3), and new baby due in June. She loves being outside, cooking, and reading.