National Latin Honor Society
The Independence chapter of the NJCL Latin Honor Society is a special designation given to Latin students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and citizenship in Latin class. NJCL Latin Honor Society induction matters because it shows prospective colleges and employers that a student values high academic achievement and has maintained proper citizenship. Colleges especially value language honor society induction because they are eager to accept students who challenge themselves in meaningful courses and who succeed.
The Latin Honor Society membership is earned annually based on student performance.
The application for NLHS is open at the end of January for Latin IV, V and AP students. Applications are due yearly and membership fee is $10. Email sponsor Bethany Schwartz (email@example.com) for information.
Anne B. Covington NLHS Scholarship
$2000 Anne B. Covington National Latin Honor Society Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded at the NJCL Convention to a student selected by the NJCL Scholarship Committee. To be eligible for this award, applicants do not have to attend the NJCL Convention; however, they must:
- have been a member in good standing of the NJCL for at least three years
- be a member of the NJCL Latin Honor Society for the current academic year and at least one preceding year
- be planning to enter college in the upcoming academic year
- have superior grades in school
- write an essay on what honor and excellence mean