What is a Family Liaison?
- A family liaison is a person who works to bridge the communication between school and home by helping parents get the information, help and support they need to ensure their child's academic and social success in school. Our Family Liaison can be reached at Sam.Woodard@lcps.org. Mrs. Woodard is here to help the Arcola families in a variety of capacities.
How can a Family Liaison help me?
- Often, parents feel uncomfortable about sharing their questions or concerns with the teachers or school administration. Because good communication between home and school is such a vital part of your child's academic success, the Parent Liaison will listen to your concerns and then work with you to make sure that your situation, question or point of view is expressed and understood. They will help support you if you need to find ways to resolve any issues that may be hindering your child's success in school. The Parent Liaison wants to be sure that you understand what you can do to get involved, keep informed, share information and help your child do his or her best.
WHAT KIND OF ASSISTANCE CAN THE LIAISON PROVIDE?
- They will provide you with a personal tour of the school and explain the programs and resources available to you and your child. You do not have to be a new parent to get a school tour.
- They will discuss some of the ways you can be more involved with the school.
- They will answer questions you may have about school rules and regulations.
- Working closely with the school guidance counselor, they will help arrange meetings between you and your child's teachers or the school administration so that important information about your child is shared and understood.
- At your request, they will accompany you to a parents' conference, or other important meetings at the school to help clarify information about your child or home situation.
- They will help you arrange for an interpreter if you need to communicate in your own language.
SPECIAL HELP AND SERVICESIf you anticipate needing school supplies (Aug) or clothing (Aug) and other services next year, please fill out the form below so that I can contact you.
- Food Services:
- Dulles South Food Pantry distributes food to families by appointment. They are located at the Arcola United Methodist Church, 24757 Arcola Mills Road, Dulles VA 20166. You may call them at 703-507-2795 or email them email Dulles South Food Pantry. Look at their website for more information. Dulles South Food Pantry
- Referrals and clothing event information will be shared with families upon request.
- Affordable Dwelling Units, One bedroom apartments are available through the ADU program here in Stone Ridge. Information on Housing
- Loudoun Workforce Center Employment Opportunities Through Loudoun Workforce Center
- Crosswords Jobs, Inc. A free employment service, 703-771-4112 Crossroads Jobs Website
- Famis- low cost health insurance for kids Famis Health Coverage 1-855-242-8282
- Loudoun Cares, provides information and referrals to county and private organizations that can help with a variety of health and human services. Call the hotline or visit the website, 703-669-4636 Loudoun Cares
- Healthworks- provides comprehensive medical, dental and behavioral health care at an affordable for all members of the community. They have a sliding fee discount program which provides a discount on fees based on your household income and size. Call 703-443-2000 (Leesburg Office), 703-481-8160 (Herndon Office) or Healthworks website
- Simplicity Health- clinics provide culturally and ethnically sensitive primary care services at affordable fees. Call 571-665-6500 for more information. They are located at 46440 Benedict Drive, Suite 208, Sterling VA 20164
- Gum Springs Library has an English Conversation Group meeting at 7:00 pm on Tuesdays and noon on Thursday.
- Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church offers English classes for those who speak another language. Call 703-327-4461 for information on classes.
- International Learning Center, Leesburg VA provides English Classes with Child Care