About the Department of Instruction
The role of the Department of Instruction is to provide support to school and division staff in their work of implementing the Loudoun County Public Schools’ mission of empowering all students to make meaningful contributions to the world. The Department of Instruction provides resources, structures, and support to ensure students develop as knowledgeable critical thinkers, communicators, collaborators, creators, and contributors.
The Department of Instruction (DOI) provides leadership and support in many areas, including:
- Identifying significant content and important competencies
- Supporting teachers as designers of deeper learning experiences through authentic challenging problems
- Engaging parents, business partners, and community members
- Supporting and improve teaching and learning
- Ensuring system answerability and internal accountability
The major efforts for the upcoming year are:
- Continue emphasis on the Loudoun County Public Schools instructional framework
- Maintain implementation of 100% full-day kindergarten programs to support students from across the county
- Continue emphasis on building teacher capacity through ongoing professional learning
- Continue emphasis on leveraging technology to support instruction, particularly in a one-to-one classroom environment
- Focus on closing achievement gaps for students with disabilities, economically disadvantaged students, and English learners
- Continue to build out the Assessment and Internal Accountability Framework by refining a balanced scorecard, developing performance assessments, using Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) to measure student growth, and providing professional learning opportunities to support the work.