Professional BiographyAlexandra BankerAmerican Sign Language
Hello! Welcome to ASL! I'm Ms. Banker and teach all 4 levels of ASL at Riverside High School.
About me: I have been signing since I was 4 years old. It started with a book from the public library and continued with ASL classes throughout high school and college. I have no deaf family members and didn't have any deaf friends until college. In fact, I had never met a deaf person until I was 15! I attended NTID/RIT in Rochester, NY for American Sign Language Interpreting.
Prior to become a teacher, I was a sign language interpreter for many years. Throughout my life, I always found myself teaching ASL to neighborhood kids, teaching classes at community centers, and educating everyone I knew about Deaf culture, Deaf history, and ASL. Now I think I finally found the perfect job here at Riverside High educating young minds and helping to shape the future. Teaching allows me to help students broaden their horizons while inspiring leadership and independence.
My 2019-2020 Schedule:
1st ASL 2 5th Group Planning 2nd ASL 1 6th ASL 1 3rd ASL 2 7th ASL 3/4 4th Planning 8th Study Hall
Course Information Gradebook & Class PageNHS Tutoring Request PagePhoenixAll of the class information can be found in StudentVue/ParentVue.Click the Phoenix link below.NHS Grading and Retake PolicyWorld Languages & Cultures Grading Policy Riverside High School 2019-2020Students enrolled in any World Language at RVHS will find the categorical breakdown of their quarter grades as follows:Formative 10%Summative 90%WORLD LANGUAGES & CULTURES RETAKE POLICY 2019-2020
Retakes are intended to allow students to show mastery (83%) and have the following guidelines:
- Students are eligible for a retake only if they have not achieved mastery (scored below an 84% on the assessment)
- Students may not receive a score greater than 83% on any retake attempt
- The retake is a single attempt
- All work (HW assignments, formative assessments, etc.) related to the assessment have been completed
- Students must complete remediation prior to the retake
- All retake attempts must be completed within two weeks
- The highest score will be included in the overall grade calculation for the quarter
- Retakes are NOT offered on skills-based (reading, writing, listening, speaking) assessments, and county-wide assessments
Late Work Policy 2019-2020:
Late Work Policy for non-Test/Quiz Assessments. Scores on late assignments are graded up to the maximum percentages listed.
100% - Turned in on time.
90% - Turned in one school day late from posted due date.
80% - Turned in between two school days late and ten school days late from posted due date.
*Late work beyond the ten school day period will be accepted for a grade based on teacher discretion.EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIESASL Choir/Club if there is enough interestRAMS Knit/Crochet Club- for those who are interested in knitting and crochet. Anyone from Novice to Expert can join!