•  Professional Biography
      
    Riverside Rams! Kelly Wood-Brondstater
     Teacher of English Language Learners - ELL
     
                 

    Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year!  

    This will be my fourth year as an ELL teacher and the ELL Department Head at Riverside High School, and I'm so ready to get this year started. 

    Even though I'm an ELL teacher now, I began my career in Special Education, earning both a Bachelor of Sciences degree and a Master’s degree in Special Education from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia.  For the first 20 years of my career, I worked with teenagers in residential treatment centers, mainly teaching high school science (Earth Science, Biology and Chemistry).  For a few of those years, however, I found myself working as an administrator and realized that teaching was much more fun than going to meetings.  In 2004, I began work in the Special Education department at Sherando High School in Stephens City, Virginia, where I worked with ED students for 2 years.  When offered a job as an ESL teacher in 2006, I ju7mped at the opportunity and went on to complete additional graduate work at George Mason University to earn an endorsement in English as a Second Language.  I worked for 9 years as the lead ESL teacher at Sherando High School, and had the opportunity to develop curriculum, create an after-school program to provide academic support for ESL students, and work with the "Friday Night School" program. 
     
    In addition to teaching, I was involved in teacher training through the University of Phoenix for 10 years, acting as a Site Supervisor for multiple student teaching placements in Virginia and West Virginia. 

     
    Other activities:
    Co-sponsor for the Environmental Club
    Teacher for the ELL Adult Education Program (Basic Skills) at Loudoun County High School on Monday and Wednesday evenings.  
     

    My 2018-19 Schedule:

     
     1st  IC/Planning/Support  5th  Newcomer English (rm 215)
     2nd  Advanced ELL (rm 215)  6th ELL Study Hall/Enrichment  (rm 215)
     3rd English as a World Language 2 (rm 215)  7th Earth Science with Mrs. Bartley (rm 1515)
     4th 21st Century Literacy Strategies II with Ms. Alexander (rm 215)  8th Planning/Support 
     
    Office Hours:
     
    - Monday - Friday: before school (8:00 am - 9:00 am)
    - "A" days during my planning (1st block)
    - "B" days during my Study Hall (6th block) and planning (8th block)
    - After school by appt.
    - Available any block for assistance with tests/quizzes (read aloud, small group, help with directions).  Please schedule ahead of time for assistance.
    - ELL Study Hall periods -  6th block (Mrs. Wood) and 8th block (Ms. Brandstetter)
     
     
     
     
     
    Course Information
    Gradebook & Class Page
    NHS Tutoring Request Page
     Phoenix
    All my class information can be found in StudentVUE/ParentVUE
    Click the Phoenix link below.
    Phoenix Gradebook
     
     
     
    LoudounVision
    LoudounVision
    Department Grading Policy Department Reassessment policy
    The ELL Department follows the grading policy set forth by Riverside High School.  Formative assessments will make up 10% of the final grade, with summative assessments composing the remaining 90% of the final grade.
     
     
    All ELL classes are courses in English acquisition.  For this reason, students are evaluated on improvement, not mastery.  Students are always permitted to retake and resubmit any assignments that they wish to improve upon with no penalty.  We welcome when students choose to learn from their mistakes and make corrections.
     
     
    Extra Curricular Positions
     Co-Sponsor of the Environmental Club with Mrs. Bryant and Mrs. Klug