Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor of Science in Education-Elementary Education from California University of Pennsylvania Master of Science in Reading and Language Arts Education--Reading Specialist Program from Duquesne University
Mrs. Hillary Hennessy
Welcome Pinebrook Readers!
My name is Mrs. Hennessy and this is my second year as a Reading Specialist at Pinebrook. Many of you already know me from my classroom teaching roles in 1st and 4th grade when I was Miss Drumheller. As a reading specialist, I look forward most to supporting students using the science of reading evidence-based practices. It brings me such joy to shape young readers into lifelong learners!
I hope you have an AWESOME school year!
Below are some ways in which you can support your child's literacy development at home:
1. Read for 15-20 minutes each night
2. Practice sight words (high-frequency words)
3. Practice comprehension skills by answering questions about the book/text
4. Have your child practice common writing skills (making a to-do list, help with making the grocery list, daily journal, etc.)
5. Read a variety of texts across multiple genres
6. Reread familiar texts to practice fluency