All students who attend Loudoun County Public Schools are expected to dress appropriately for a K-12 educational environment. A student’s attire should facilitate the participation in learning as well as the health and safety of students. This policy is intended to provide guidance for students, staff and parents.
A. Appropriate Student Attire. Students must wear clothing that is appropriate to a K- 12 educational environment and that does not or is not likely to cause a substantial disruption that includes the following attire:
1. Clothing must cover the midriff.
2. Tops with straps greater than one inch wide.
3. Clothing that covers private areas should be opaque and appropriate undergarments must be worn.
4. Clothing that does not reveal undergarments and/or private areas.
5. Clothing should be suitable for all scheduled classroom activities where unique hazards exist.
6. Clothing that is required in specialized courses, such as sports uniforms or safety gear.
7. Clothing that includes head covering if worn for religious purposes, as a matter of safety, medical condition, or in connection with a school-sponsored program, activity, or event.
8. Faces should be clearly visible by other students and staff, as a reasonable measure of safety and security.
9. Clothing free from language that is profane or images that depict, advertise or advocate illegal, violent or lewd conduct, the unlawful possession or use of weapons, drugs, drug paraphernalia, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or other controlled substances or are discriminatory.
10. Clothing and/or head coverings free from gang related or associated symbols, such as words or drawings that could pose a reasonable threat to the health or safety of any other student or staff.