Monday, January 23, 2017
WHAT IS A PARENT LIAISON? A Parent Liaison is a person who works to bridge the communication between school and home by helping parents get the information, help and support they need to ensure their child’s academic and social success in school.
HOW CAN THE PARENT LIAISON HELP ME? Often, parents feel uncomfortable about sharing their questions or concerns with the teachers or school administration. Because good communication between home and school is such a vital part of your child’s academic success, the Parent Liaison will listen to your concerns and then work with you to make sure that your situation, question or point of view is expressed and understood. They will help support you if you need to find ways to resolve any issues that may be hindering your child’s success in school. The Parent Liaison wants to be sure that you understand what you can do to get involved, keep informed, share information, and help your child do his or her best.
WHAT KIND OF ASSISTANCE CAN THE PARENT LIAISON PROVIDE?
· They will provide you with a personal tour of the school and explain the programs and resources available to you and your child. You do not have to be a new parent to get a school tour.
· They will discuss some of the ways you can be more involved with the school and your child's education.
· Working closely with the school guidance counselor, they will help arrange meetings between you and your child’s teachers or the school administration so that important information about your child is shared and understood.
· At your request, they will accompany you to a parent conference or other important meetings at the school to help clarify information about your child or home situation.
· They will help you arrange for an interpreter if you need to communicate in your own language.