ROCK RIDGE ATTENDANCE POLICY
Absence from school for any period of time will result in the loss of learning. It is important for each student to be present whenever possible to take full advantage of educational opportunities. Students are required to make up work missed, regardless of the reason for absence.
- Students must sign out in the attendance office.
- Students must have their release approved by the nurse and/or an administrator.
- Parents must present photo ID.
Students may only be dismissed during the school day for one of the reasons listed under excused absences, which is based on the Code of Virginia. Students must follow the procedures listed below:
- A written request from the parent or guardian is to be submitted by the student to the attendance office before the 9:00 a.m. tardy bell. This request must be approved before a student is permitted to leave. The request must include the telephone number where a parent may be reached during the day.
- The student will be given a slip that includes the early dismissal information.
- Emergencies: only in emergencies should the parent call the school and ask for the dismissal of the student
- All students approved for early dismissal must leave their early dismissal slips at the attendance window and sign out before leaving.
Parents can email RRHAttendance@lcps.org for dismissal notes.
- Personal illness
- Death in the family
- Medical appointments
- Court appearances
- Illness in the immediate family that requires the student to be absent
- Emergencies to be approved by the principal
- Religious observations
**Any extended absence for more than 5 days needs prior written approval from the principal
If the parent has not called school by 10:30 a.m. on the day a student is absent, the school will make every effort to call the parent to verify the absence. Any absence not confirmed by the parent will be considered unexcused.
School begins at 9:15 a.m. Students are expected to be in class on time. Excused tardies are issued for the same reasons as excused absences. Students who choose to drive to school cannot use car trouble, construction, traffic accidents, etc. as an excused tardy to school because bus transportation is provided. After the 3rd tardy, students will be assigned a consequence. Progressive discipline will be applied for any further tardies thereafter.
- Any student who arrives after 9:30 may not participate in athletics or activities unless they have a medical excuse from a doctor.
- Students arriving to school after 10:00 am and are unexcused tardy, will be considered truant and will be assigned a consequence.
- 1st Tardy to Class = Verbal Warning
- 2nd Tardy to Class = Parent Contact
- 3rd Tardy to Class = Morning Detention
- 4th Tardy to Class = Referral to Administrator
- 5th Tardy to Class = Referral to Administrator
- 6th Tardy to Class = Referral to Administrator
Students start with a clean slate at the beginning of each quarter.
Students who violate the attendance policies, including unexcused tardies/absences, class cuts, and leaving school without permission will be assigned consequences with a tiered intervention system which may progress from detentions to Friday school detentions, Saturday school, In- school restriction, and intervention by the LCPS attendance officer. Refusal to serve assigned consequences can result in a suspension from school.