Our HistoryDouglass School has had an interesting and varied history. The land was purchased by the "School League" (a group of African American parents) for $4,000 and was deeded to the School Board. In 1941, ground was broken for the construction of Douglass High School. On completion, the doors of the first Secondary School for African American children in the history of Loudoun County were opened.
The original building consisted of four rooms. Since that time there have been two additions. In 1950, a science laboratory, home economics suite, and five classrooms were added. In 1960, a gymnasium, shop, cafeteria, and several classrooms were built.
PRINCIPALS DATES Mr. George Liverpool 1941 - 1948 Mr. Ulysses Oliver 1949 - 1951 Mr. Stephen Sydnor 1952 - 1963 Mr. James Woodson 1964 - 1968 Mr. James McBride 1968 - 1969 Mr. Weldon Reeves 1971 - 1975 Mr. Frederick Hutchison 1976 - 1977 Mr. Joel Galperin 1977 - 1978 Mr. Wayne Griffith 1978 - 1979 Mr. Terrence Hill 1979 - 1985 Mrs. Laurraine Landolt 1985 - 2000 Dr. John Robinson 2000 - 2016 Mrs. Marianne Turner 2016 -The building has provided service to many different populations since 1968: Timeline School Name History 1941-1968 Douglass High SchoolServed all African American Students as a high school. 1968-1969 The Broad Run AnnexIt was a school for 8th & 9th graders who would be attending Broad Run for the 69/70 school year. 1969-1971 The School Board AnnexUsed as administrative offices. 1971-1976 Leesburg Middle SchoolIt was a school for 6th & 7th graders from Leesburg, Middleburg, and Lucketts. 1976 Douglass Community SchoolAfter the middle school students moved on, it became a school with multiple programs: an alternative high school, a special education center, and the Douglass Community Center. 1991 Douglass SchoolHoused at Douglass during this time were Douglass Alternative School with middle and high school programs, ESL, Early Childhood Special Education, Substance Abuse Education, Insight, and the Douglass Community Center. 1993 Douglass SchoolThe STEP classes joined the above programs. 1994 Douglass SchoolHead Start classes joined the above programs. 1996 Douglass SchoolHead Start classes are relocated. 2000 Douglass SchoolThe Middle School Transitions Program and the GED Program were added. 2001 Douglass SchoolThe ESL, STEP, and Early Childhood Special Education classes are relocated and Douglass becomes the center for Secondary Alternative Programs for LCPS. 2004-2014 Douglass SchoolThe Saving 9 program is added to support 9th grade students in jeopardy of failing and potentially becoming drop outs. 2016 Douglass School Second Chance program is added to support students who have struggles with regular high school programs.