• Department of Pupil Services - Office of Student Services
     Special Permission Requests
    Gabrielle.Carpenter@lcps.org - Student Services Coordinator
     PHONE: (571) 252-1021   FAX: (571) 252-1242
     Program Assistant: Dawn.Mahoney@lcps.org

     The special permission request window is now closed.

    You may use the button below if you would like to apply for special permission for a move-in or move-out only at this time. 



    If a parent/guardian wishes to cancel or rescind a special permission after it has been granted, a written request must be submitted to the office of Special Permissions. 

     Please note for rescinding a special permission at the elementary school level, if the student's home school is at grade level capacity, the student will be assigned to a regionally placed school.

                                       If you are relocating within Loudoun County after the start of school (August 22, 2019), please click below to apply for a family relocation move-in or move-out.  Please see the table below for details.  Supporting documents are required and must be sent to the Special Permission office by the parent.

    If you have recently moved, please update your address at your current school prior to applying for special permission. 
              17-18 special permission request




    Special Permission Reason


    Time Frame to Apply

    Employee Special Permission

    Parent or guardian works at a Loudoun County Public school and would like to have their child attend their school.  The parent will provide transportation to and from school. There must be sufficient capacity.

    March 1-August 15 (Note, only parents who work at a school where they wish to bring their student(s) - or would like their child to attend the elementary school in their cluster -  may apply starting March 1, otherwise, the parent should apply beginning April 1)

    Special Permission

    Parent or guardian would like their child to attend a school with available space outside of the school boundary which serves their current Loudoun residence. The parent will provide transportation to and from school. There must be sufficient capacity.

    April 1-August 15

    Family Relocation (Move-In)

    Parent or guardian is currently residing in Loudoun County, but is building, buying, or will rent a home where the student will reside during the school year in Loudoun County, and would like their child to start at the school which serves their future residence.  There must be sufficient capacity in the requested grade for elementary-age students.

    Year Round* (you will need to register your child at the school that serves your current attendance zone and then fill out a Family Relocation form and provide proof of a pending lease or settlement date which occurs during the school year.

    Family Relocation (Move-Out)

    Parent or guardian moves out of the school zone (still within Loudoun County) where their student started the school year and would like their child to finish the school year at the same school.  The parent will provide transportation to and from that school. The move must take place during the school year.

    ONLY during the current school year until June 1*

    CLICK HERE FOR MOVES WHICH OCCUR AFTER 8/22/19. A copy of a lease, deed or settlement sheet must be provided with application.


    **If you move during the 2019-2020 school year, and wish for your student(s) to remain at their current school; you must update your address at the school first and then complete a Family Relocation Form for each student.  You must provide a Change of Address Form and Proof of Residency Document (Deed, Settlement Paper Work or Lease) to our office and to the school.  Click on the link which states "Family Relocation AFTER the Start of the School Year" on the left side for more information and forms! ** 

     ** On January 28, 2016, the Loudoun County School Board adopted revisions to Policy §8-20, School Assignment, which went into effect immediately, replacing previous versions of the policy. Final versions of this policy can be found on the School Board webpage, under "Students", §8-20 School Assignment:   

    In Policy §8-20 (E) (3)., Any parent or legal guardian who is not satisfied by the decision of the school division to their student's reassignment or denial of a request for special permission may appeal the decision to the School Board (see School Board Policy 2350 on Appeal of Administrative Decisions).  The School Board Committee appointed under Policy 2350 is authorized to make exceptions to the policy for good cause.  

    If a parent or legal guardian receives a denial of a request for special permission and wishes to appeal the decision sent from Gabrielle Carpenter, Pupil Services Coordinator, the parent should send their written correspondence to:
    Dr. Asia Jones, Superintendent's Designee c/o Gabrielle Carpenter, Student Services Coordinator
    Loudoun County Public Schools
    21000 Education Court Ashburn, VA 20148
    FAX:  (571) 252-1242
Last Modified on January 14, 2020