Loudoun County Public Schools
Each student at Steuart W. Weller Elementary will take part in the school guidance and counseling program. The school counselor is responsible for the organization and management of the program. The ASCA National Model provides the mechanisms with which the school counselor will design, coordinate, implement, manage, and evaluate the program for student success.
School counselors work with students, parents, teachers, and administrators to help students succeed in school and prepare for meaningful, productive living. The program is child-centered, developmental and preventative. It encourages students’ academics, social/emotional, and career awareness at the stage of their development. Counseling services are inclusive and respectful of differences in gender, religion, ethnicity, race, ability, socioeconomic status, disability, and age.
What do School Counselors Do?
· Individual counseling
· Group counseling
· Classroom lessons for all students
· Respond to student needs in crisis situations
· Orients students to new school settings
· Participates actively in the referral process of students to special programs and/or services
· Conducts conferences with parents
· Facilitates parent, teacher workshops/discussion groups
· Adheres to ethical and legal standards
How is a Student Referred to the School Counselor?
For More Information About School Counselors
Visit the Following Website… www.schoolcounselor.org