Food in Schools: Expectations for the Health and Safety of All StudentsLoudoun County Public School (LCPS) students have the right to a quality education in a supportive, safe, and healthy environment. As stated in the LCPS guidelines presented in 2010, Caring for Students with Food Allergies in School, healthy eating habits and proper nutrition are important for all students.
· The Individual Health Care Plans of students in the classroom must be followed. Parents/guardians will be notified so they can determine in advance whether a particular food item is safe for a child with life-threatening allergies.
· All students are encouraged to eat healthy snacks. Foods containing allergens should not be consumed in the classrooms of students with food allergies.
· Sharing or trading food in the classroom or cafeteria is not permissible and is a safety practice that has been in place in LCPS for several years.
· When student birthdays are recognized at school, only non-food treats are allowed.
· Non-food items will be used when classroom rewards are considered. Inclusion of all students in classroom rewards is essential.
· Foods containing allergens specific to a student are not to be used for class projects, parties, holidays and celebrations, arts, crafts, science experiments, cooking, or other purposes.
· Students are encouraged to assume increasing responsibility for healthy and safe food choices as they progress from elementary to middle and high school.
Caring for Students with Food Allergies in School is available on the LCPS website under Administration—Pupil Services—Keeping All Students Safe.