Computer/TechnologyStandards of Learning
Basic Operations and Concepts
C/T 3-5.1 The student will demonstrate knowledge of the nature and operation of technology systems.
· Discuss common uses of computers in their daily life and the advantages and disadvantages those usesprovide.
· Communicate about basic technology components with appropriate terminology.
C/T 3-5.2 The student will demonstrate proficiency in the use of technology.
· Use skills and procedures needed to operate various technologies such as scanners, digital cameras and hand-held computers.
· Identify basic software applications such as word processing, databases, and spreadsheets.
Social andEthical Issues
C/T 3-5.3 The student will demonstrate knowledge of ethical, cultural, and societal issues related to technology.
· Identify how technology has changed society in areas such as communications, transportation,and the economy.
· Discuss ethical behaviors when using information and technology.
C/T 3-5.4 The student will practice responsible use of technology systems, information, and software.
· Understand the need for the school division’s acceptable use policy.
· Discuss the rationale of fair use and copyright regulations.
· Follow rules for personal safety when using the Internet.
C/T 3-5.5 The student will demonstrate knowledge of technologies that support collaboration, personal pursuits, and productivity.
· Work collaboratively when using technology.
· Practice and communicate respect for people, equipment, and resources.
· Understand how technology expands opportunities for learning.
Technology Research Tools
C/T 3-5.6 The student will use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information from a variety of sources.
· Collect information from a variety of sources.
· Evaluate the accuracy of electronic information sources.
· Enter data into databases and spreadsheets.
Computer/Technology Standards of Learning
Problem-solving and Decision-making Tools
C/T 3-5.7 The student will use technology resources for solving problems and making informed decisions.
· Determine when technology tools are appropriate to solve a problem and make a decision.
· Select resources to solve problems and make informed decisions.
Technology Communication Tools
C/T 3-5.8 The student will use a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences.
· Produce documents demonstrating the ability to edit, reformat, and integrate various software tools.
· Use technology tools for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities.
· Use telecommunication tools to communicate and share information with others.