At Broad Run High School ESL classes are content-based. Language and content instruction are integrated so that students develop academic knowledge and skills in specific content areas at the same time as they develop their language skills.
The following are overall goals for ESL Levels 1 and 2 (Beginning and Intermediate):
1. Use high -frequency words and simple patterns to communicate meaning.
2. Recognize and begin to apply grammatical concepts and skills, such as parts of speech, simple verb tenses, and sentence completeness.
3. Read and respond to short passages from fiction and non-fiction texts adapted for limited English speakers/readers.
4. Use some simple key conventions of standard English to write about specific topics.
5. Demonstrate a knowledge of a variety of facts about American culture, geography, and history.
6. Locate, evaluate, and use information from a variety of sources such as the Internet, dictionary, and encyclopedias for academic purposes.
7. Use the writing process to prepare different forms of writing such as reports, essays, and autobiographies.