General - All medicines should be administered to students by their parents at home if at all possible. Medicine administered at school will strictly follow the procedures described below. Any student who fails to follow these procedures or whose parents fail to follow them will be excluded from school until compliance is assured. The principal shall determine whether or not there is compliance with the provisions of this policy.
If it is necessary that a medication be given during school hours, the following regulations must be followed:
Medication must be brought to school in the original container with appropriate label intact. Parent/guardian must bring medication to the nurse, health aide, or designee. Medication will be kept in a locked medicine area of the clinic. If you ask, the pharmacy will give you an extra bottle for liquid or tablets with the proper amount of medicine for school.
The Nurse/Health Aide must have written instructions from the physician in order to administer prescription medications. These should include:
- Student’s name
- Name and purpose of medicine
- Dosage and time of administration
- Possible side effects and measures to take if those occur
- End date for administering the medicine
- Parent signature giving permission to administer medicine and to contact physician if necessary
- Physician’s signature
- Must be in an original package with the name of the medicine and instructions
- Must have a signed and dated note or form H6 from the parent regarding when and how much medicine to administer
- Will be given according to the amount listed on the package for your child’s age and weight unless the doctor’s orders on a medication form indicate differently
The following form needs to be completed for medication at school:
Safekeeping of Medication
All medication must be kept by the school nurse or designated person in a secure, locked place known by and accessible to any person who may have to administer life-saving medication. Students may not carry or keep medications in their lockers, sport bags, bookbags, and on their person.