Counseling ServicesWhat are the Responsibilities of the School Counselor?
The school counseling program provides classroom lessons, group counseling, individual counseling, and parent consultations. Group counseling consists of many different themes that are offered to the students. Those themes include (but are not limited to):
- Changing Families: separation, divorce, and stepfamilies
- Social Skills: making and/or keeping friends
- Grieving: loss of a loved one
- Coping Skills: serious illness or disability in the family
- Study Skills
- Anger Management
- Stress Management
- Academic Self-Improvement
How is a Student Referred to the School Counselor?
- Self-Referral (grades 3-5)
- Teacher, Administrator, or Staff
- Parent Referral
- Counselor Observation
Why do Parents Contact the School Counselor?
What are the Minimum Qualifications for a Virginia School Counselor?
- Academic Achievement
- New School Orientation and Transition
- Special Needs of Students
- Student Crisis Situations
- Family Transitions
- Master's Degree
- State Certification