The mission of the library media program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. This mission is accomplished:
- by providing intellectual and physical access to material in all formats
- by providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas, and
- by working with other educators to design learning strategies to meet the
needs of individual students.
1. To provide intellectual and physical access to information and ideas for a diverse population whose needs are changing rapidly
2. to ensure equity and freedom of access to information and ideas, unimpeded by social, cultural, economic, geographic, or technologic constraints
3. To promote literacy and the enjoyment of reading, viewing, and listening for young people at all ages and stages of development
4. To provide leadership and expertise in the use of information and instructional technologies
5. To participate in networks that enhance access to resources located outside the school
American Association for School Librarians and Association for Educational Communications and Technology. Information Power: Building Partnerships for Learning. Chicago: American Library Association, 1998.