Good readers use many reading strategies to help them read!
Beanie Baby Decoding Strategies
Chunky Monkey - Chunk the word.
· Look for a chunk you know (-ing, -and, -art)
· Look for a word part you know (be-, -er)
Skippy Frog - Skip it, Skip it!
· Skip the word.
· Read to the end of the sentence.
· Hop back and re-read it.
Stretchy Snake - Stretch out the word
· Stretch the word out slowly.
· Put the sounds together to figure out the word.
Eagle Eye - Look at the picture
· Look at the pictures for clues to help figure out the word.
Lips the Fish - Get your lips ready
· Say the first few sounds of the word out loud.
Flippy Dolphin - Flip the Vowel Sound
· Try the other vowel sound.
· Flip a short sound for a long sound and vice versa.
Peeking Poodle - Check the picture and check the words.
· Look back and forth at the pictures and the words.
· Does it look right?
· Does it sound right?· Does it make sense?Beanie Baby Comprehension Strategies
Kit-Kat Connector - Make connections
· Text to text
· Text to self
· Text to world
Questioning Owl - Ask questions as you read
· Ask questions before, during and after.
· Who? What? Where? Why?
Repair Bear - Monitor and fix-up
· Think when you read so you know when you don’t understand.
Iggy the Inferring Iguana- Infer as your read
· Make predictions.
· Draw conclusions.
· Reflect while you read.
Jabber the Reteller- Synthesize and Retell
· Put the information together and think about what you read.
· Retell the story or what you learned in your own words.
Picturing Penguin - Visualize as you read
· Put pictures in your head as you read.
· See and think about the story like a movie in your mind.
Digger the Dog - Determine important ideas
· Dig for important details.
· Dig for information that tells you the author’s message.