Computer/Technology Standards of Learning
Basic Operations and Concepts
C/T 3-5.1 The student will demonstrate knowledge of the nature and operation of technology systems.
• Discuss common uses of computers in their daily life and the advantages and disadvantages those uses provide.
• Communicate about basic technology components with appropriate terminology.
C/T 3-5.2 The student will demonstrate proficiency in the use of technology.
• Use skills and procedures needed to operate various technologies such as scanners, digital cameras and hand-held computers.
• Identify basic software applications such as word processing, databases, and spreadsheets.
Social and Ethical Issues
C/T 3-5.3 The student will demonstrate knowledge of ethical, cultural, and societal issues related to technology.
• Identify how technology has changed society in areas such as communications, transportation, and the economy.
• Discuss ethical behaviors when using information and technology.
C/T 3-5.4 The student will practice responsible use of technology systems, information, and software.
• Understand the need for the school division’s acceptable use policy.
• Discuss the rationale of fair use and copyright regulations.
• Follow rules for personal safety when using the Internet.
C/T 3-5.5 The student will demonstrate knowledge of technologies that support collaboration, personal pursuits, and productivity.
• Work collaboratively when using technology.
• Practice and communicate respect for people, equipment, and resources.
• Understand how technology expands opportunities for learning.
Technology Research Tools
C/T 3-5.6 The student will use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information from a variety of sources.
• Collect information from a variety of sources.
• Evaluate the accuracy of electronic information sources.
• Enter data into databases and spreadsheets.
Problem-solving and Decision-making Tools
C/T 3-5.7 The student will use technology resources for solving problems and making informed decisions.
• Determine when technology tools are appropriate to solve a problem and make a decision.
• Select resources to solve problems and make informed decisions.
Technology Communication Tools
C/T 3-5.8 The student will use a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences.
• Produce documents demonstrating the ability to edit, reformat, and integrate various software tools.
• Use technology tools for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities.
• Use telecommunication tools to communicate and share information with others.