Potowmack's Bullying Prevention Policy
Second Step Bullying Prevention Curriculum
What Students Learn
In the Bullying Prevention Unit lessons, students learn:
- How to recognize, report, and refuse bullying
- The difference between bullying and conflict between peers
- That they can refuse bullying in different ways
- That bystanders can help stop bullying and that it's the right thing to do
- How bystanders can be part of the bullying problem
- The similarities and differences between cyberbullying and other types of bullying
- Ways to recognize and help stop cyberbullying
What Adults Learn
A big part of what makes the Bullying Prevention Unit work is that all school staff go through online training that helps them recognize and respond to bullying and distinguish bullying from peer conflict.
Since students are learning to report bullying to an adult when it happens, all staff learn how to take a student's bullying report and ensure the safety of the student. They also learn ways to prevent and intervene in bullying and practice following through with both the students or students doing the bullying and the student being bullied.