As this new school year begins, we would like to remind you about the importance of your child’s Physical Education. The percentage of overweight youth has more than tripled in the past 25 years partially due to increased interest in sedentary activities such as television, computers, and video games. A reduction in physical activity as well as an increase in caloric intake has contributed to an obesity epidemic.
It is well- documented fact that Americans become increasingly less active as they age. Just as children and youth can learn the habit of regular physical activity, they can learn to be inactive if they are not taught skills and given opportunities to be active during their childhood.
Physical activity in school Physical Education programs is the cornerstone of an active lifestyle for all students. School programs provide the skills, knowledge, and attitudes that facilitate choosing physical activity after school, at home and in the community. As qualified Physical Education teachers, we pledge to:
- Establish a positive, safe learning environment for all students
- Teach a variety of physical activities that make physical education class fun and enjoyable
- Create maximum opportunities for students of all abilities to be successful
- Promote student honesty, integrity and good sportsmanship
- Guide students into becoming skillful and confident movers
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of physical fitness
- Assist students in setting and achieving personal goals
- Provide specific, constructive feedback to help students master motor skills
- Afford opportunities for students to succeed in cooperative and competitive situations
- Prepare and encourage students to practice skills and be active for a lifetime
We welcome your support!
Mrs. Adrienne Dabbenigno
Mrs. Heather Golden
Physical Education Teachers
Dominion Trail Elementary School