What is Virginia Readers Choice?
* to encourage young readers to become better acquainted with contemporary books with outstanding literary appeal,
* to broaden students' awareness of literature as a life-long pleasure,
* to encourage reading aloud in classrooms as a means of introducing reading for pleasure, and
* to honor favorite books and their authors.
* A winner will be announced for each level- Primary, Elementary, Middle, and High School. The winning book will have gathered the highest number of votes in their category. The winners will be announced in the Spring of each year.
To become a qualified voter, a participant must be exposed to at least four of the nominated books at each level in their entirety by reading them himself, having them read aloud to him, or a combination of the two.
Students may participate in the Virginia Readers Choice program through a public library, school library, or classroom.
Each qualified voter has one vote for his/her favorite book at each level. A participant may vote at more than one level - for instance an elementary student may choose to vote for an elementary level title and a primary level title.
A responsible adult in a classroom or library setting must monitor the voting, and only one official tally sheet per program level (Primary, Elementary, etc.) may be submitted from each public library or school regardless of how many individual groups within that school/library take part in the program. The total number of votes submitted from a school/library may not exceed the number of students qualified to vote from that school/library.
The winning book for each level is selected by popular vote of the participating students evaluating the books. Votes must meet the deadline date to be included in the popular vote.
Link to Candidates