Señora Rice “Arroz” - Español 2 y 3
Sign up for Remind: Text the message below to the number 81010 to join
@arroz217 - To Join Spanish 2 @arroz317 – To Join Spanish 3
Students will participate in a variety of activities to practice listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills to improve their communication and proficiency in Spanish. As we progress, you will become more capable of functioning effectively in Spanish by obtaining information from spoken and written messages, communicating orally and in writing, and using more advanced structural concepts and vocabulary. Cultural aspects of the language and respective countries will also be explored.
- 3 ring binder with dividers
- Composition Notebook (not spiral bound)
- Bring Your Own Device
- Colored pencils/markers
- Flash-Drive (For all your classes)
Please consider choosing 1-2 of the following to donate to the class:
- Disinfectant Wipes
- Colored Pencils or Markers
- Glue Sticks
- You should be respectful towards yourself, your teachers, classmates and school.
- You are expected to attend class regularly, be prepared with materials, and be prepared to participate (en español) in classroom activities and discussions.
- You should be open-minded and curious. In this class, we discuss different cultures, traditions, and beliefs. You do not have to agree with them, you do not have to like them, but you should be respectful towards others and their opinions.
- Restroom: Try to take care of your water and restroom needs between classes but obviously, there will be times when you need to use the restroom or drink water. No bathroom passes will be issued without asking me in español, “¿Me permite ir al baño? o ¿Me permite ir a beber agua?” *School Policy: No one may leave the 1st or last 20 minutes of class.
Take pride in yourself and in all that you do. If a student is caught cheating or uses an online translator or the help of a native speaker, they will earn a zero as this is a violation of the honor code. Parents and administrators will be notified as well.
Think of the word P.R.I.D.E- Personal Responsibility In Daily Effort
Use of Electronics in Class:
Stone Bridge is now a Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT) school. This means that when given permission, you can use your electronic device. However, if your teacher has not given you permission: 1st offense: Warning. 2nd offense: Collect device until the end of the period. 3rd+ offense: Collect device and take to Administrator. If any electronics are seen during a test, quiz, or exam it will result in an automatic ZERO.
Course documents such as grammar notes, vocabulary, project rubrics, etc. will be located on our Google Class. We will sign up for the course as a class within the first few weeks of school.
Since the goal of language learning is communication, your grade will be mainly based on your ability to communicate in Spanish. 90% will be summative and be broken up into interpretive communication skills (understanding what you read, hear & watch), interpersonal communication skills (speaking with or writing to another person) and presentational communication skills (oral presentations or essay writing). 10% will be formative assessments, including homework and other practice activities.
Retake opportunities are available at a time arranged between you and your teacher for summative assessments, but require the completion and review of activities related to the topic as well as a review session at a Friday morning peer tutoring session. Retakes must be within two weeks of having received the assessment back from your teacher.
- For Spanish 2, you will only be allowed to retake two assessments per quarter, excluding county benchmark assessments or projects.
- For Spanish 3, you will only be allowed to retake one assessment per quarter, excluding county benchmark assessments or projects.
Note: The highest score earned will be the final grade.
CPAs (Communication Performance Assessments) & Other Unit Assessments:
All Unit Assessments (CPAs, Unit Tests, & Projects) dates are announced in advance. If you are absent on the class period before an announced assessment, you will take it on the regularly schedule day.
It is difficult to replicate in-class activities outside of the classroom if you’re absent. If you are absent, it is your responsibility to find out what you missed – Check Google Classroom & speak with your teacher.
If you are absent on an assessment day, it is your responsibility to schedule a makeup time with me. There will be a grade of Z (equivalent to a 0) inputted into the grade book until you make up the work.
Late Work: Formative assessments will be accepted one class period late for half credit. All other assessments will be deducted by one letter grade for each class period late.
I am available before school by appointment. Foreign Language Peer Tutoring is available every Friday morning in L210 form 8:15-9:00 am. If you have questions or concerns, please ask. It is important that you keep up with your work because we build upon the material each day. You should seek help at the earliest sign of difficulty so take advantage of the help offered.
¡Tengamos un buen año! Let’s have a great year!