Competency-Based Education Task/Competency List Virginia’s Workplace Readiness Skills
2005/2006 School Year
Traditional letter or numerical grades do not provide adequate documentation of student achievement in competency-based education; therefore, the Virginia Standards for CBE require a recording system to provide information about competencies achieved to employer, student-employee, and teacher. The Student Competency Record provides a means for keeping track of student progress. Ratings are assigned by the teacher for classroom competency achievement and by the teacher-coordinator in conjunction with the training sponsor when competence is evaluated on the job.
Tasks/competencies are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.
Note: Tasks marked with an asterisk (*) may be considered sensitive. Teachers should obtain division approval before teaching.
Note: Students with and Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or an Individualized Student Alternative Education Plan (ISAEP) will be rated, using the following scale, only on the competencies identified in their IEP or ISAEP.
1 - Can teach others
2 - Can perform without supervision
3 - Can perform with limited supervision
4 - Can perform with supervision
5 - Cannot perform
6150-18 18 Weeks
Virginia’s Workplace Readiness Skills
1. Demonstrate reading skills on a level required for employment in a chosen career field.
2. Demonstrate math skills on a level required for employment in a chosen career field.
3. Demonstrate writing skills on a level required for employment in a chosen career field.
4. Demonstrate speaking and listening skills on a level required for employment in a chosen career field.
5. Demonstrate computer literacy on a level required for employment in a chosen career field.
6. Demonstrate reasoning, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
7. Demonstrate understanding of the big picture.
8. Demonstrate a strong work ethic.
9. Demonstrate a positive attitude.
10. Demonstrate independence and initiative.
11. Demonstrate self-presentation skills.
12. Maintain satisfactory attendance.
13. Participate as a team member to accomplish goals